M1 from junction 33 to junction for A57

Hello anyone got experience of junction 34 to junction for A57.

I'm wanting to travel down it at between 8 and half past Monday mornings without traffic jam.

Good or bad idea?

I can go earlier is there a better time?

Cheers kelly

In a nut shell you have no chance.

I travelled that route (just beyond in fact to J30) and no matter what shift I was on either 9.00am start, 10am start or a 2pm start you would always get caught up in a traffic jam.

If you really want to avoid a major hassle you need to be setting off about 7.30 before the traffic really gets heavy. It will probably be at its lightest point - but don't be surprised if you still find at least a small queue as you approach the M18 and A57 junctions.

Other than that, my other tips are to keep a close ear on the traffic reports. One accident and that entire part of the M1 can not only be jammed but virtually impassable for anything up to an hour. (...I've been there many times).

Have you thought about a detour. Maybe through Tinsley through to Canklow and then follow the Rotherway up to Wiston crossroads. From there you can turn down onto country roads which cross over the motorway and lead you through to either Aston/Todwick areas.

Either that or get over towards Handsworth/Woodhouse using the airport road and use the various dual carriageways up to (again) Aston/Todwick areas.

Its a little more on the clock, but believe me when the Motorway gets stuffed it really makes a big difference once you get to know the short cuts.

I've commuted that way before, from 34 to 28 I think it was, and at 0800 it would be very slow to stationary.

I was normally on the motorway by 0715 and it was already busy.

When I go that route in an evening (towards the A57 and Dinnington) I turn off the parkway at the airport exit and then go through Catcliffe and Ulley, dropping into the industrial estate at the bottom of Dinnington. It's not a perfect route, but it's better than sitting in traffic.

In that case, I'd avoid the motorway entirely in a morning, once you reach Wickersley, stay on the local roads to Thurcroft, and then through Brampton and straight down towards Todwick.

Something like this

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/53.353674,-1.2575986/Wath+upon+Dearne,+South+Yorkshire/@53.4368649,-1.3861283,12z/data=!4m14!4m13!1m5!3m4!1m2!1d-1.2691811!2d53.3925949!3s0x4879757862218317:0x2e706bd8922c00a3!1m5!1m1!1s0x487971017040f623:0x92b0c2a826830abf!2m2!1d-1.339493!2d53.5029116!3e0

Edited by Cyclone

I get on the M1 from Catcliffe at Junction 33 and travel to Junction 30 (Barlborough) every weekday at around 8:20. Tbh it's usually fine going Southbound and very rarely jams up at that time, and even when it does it's often for no more than a 10 minute delay or so.

Northbound however is always practically stationary.