Looking for advice from an Uber driver

Hi,

I'm going to an Ignition meeting on Monday and I'm curious about working for Uber. My main concern is the outlay that I'll have to front. I don't have a new car so will have to invest in one as well as being able to cover the costs of a private hire licence, fuel, maintenance etc.

I'd like to know what realistic monthly earnings are through Uber and over how many hours. They will tell me glorious stories of earning top amounts of cash, but that will likely be in other towns that have different populations/popularity of Uber, that kind of thing.

I would have to give up my job to do this and I don't want to fail as I have a family to support.

Any help will be gratefully appreciated.

Hi,

I'm going to an Ignition meeting on Monday and I'm curious about working for Uber. My main concern is the outlay that I'll have to front. I don't have a new car so will have to invest in one as well as being able to cover the costs of a private hire licence, fuel, maintenance etc.

I'd like to know what realistic monthly earnings are through Uber and over how many hours. They will tell me glorious stories of earning top amounts of cash, but that will likely be in other towns that have different populations/popularity of Uber, that kind of thing.

I would have to give up my job to do this and I don't want to fail as I have a family to support.

Any help will be gratefully appreciated.

A friend of mine recently moved from standard hackney cab (self employed) to Uber and was in a similar situation as he was renting his cab, and didn't own a car..

Uber have rental agents that you can hire an Uber approved car from for a fee, which is automatically taken out of your earnings and paid to the agent. (I think my friend is paying around £140, not sure on how often it is)

he gets paid every Thursday straight into his bank, so you need to be able to cover from when you sign up and start driving, until your first payment...

I think he's earning around £350-400 / week, but he has said to me he's not working as much as he probably should, and he needs to get out working more (so it's his own problem)

The work is out there he says, he just needs to get out and do it :)

he usually works Friday/Saturday evenings from around 11pm - 5/6am - and just throughout the week on odd evenings (Mondays / Weds usually) as and when he feels like it at the moment... (as long as he covers his car cost and fuel etc, he's happy)

You will soon learn where the higher earning areas are at what times and days etc, and you will be able to work as much or as little as you like...

If you get referred by an Uber driver, there's a £150 bonus each (after driving for 3 months or 6 months or something) too I believe, I remember him telling me about that....

I'll ask him if there's any more info he can help with etc when I see him next (might be this evening) and report back, but I hope this has helped give you an idea! :)

That's fantastic help, thanks.

And yes if there's anything else, that would be great. I'm curious is that earning of £350-400 after the £120 for the car or before? Is it a take home amount I think I mean.

Thansk again :)

That's fantastic help, thanks.

And yes if there's anything else, that would be great. I'm curious is that earning of £350-400 after the £120 for the car or before? Is it a take home amount I think I mean.

Thansk again :)

Yes, because all Uber fees and the car payment are automatically taken out from your earnings, on the Drivers app, there's a graph that shows you a break down for how much you earned for each day, (can go deeper and see each day's individual jobs if you like) - and the "total" which you will be paid on the next pay day... - this is after deductions! :)

• 2 months later...

hi

I have apllied for privat hire licence with Uber after Ignition.

Just wonder if You started work for them, and how it goes...

have you hire a car or bought one? How much insurance cost for a new badge holder?

thanks for replay....

A quick Google search told me that the top drivers on average earn less than minimum wage.

Doubt that very much, when surge pricing is in effect the drivers can really clean up.

Uber don't really have many drivers in Sheffield so surge pricing is often in effect during busy periods.

When it's exceptionally busy the surge price goes through the roof, and people will pay for it.

• 4 months later...
Doubt that very much, when surge pricing is in effect the drivers can really clean up.

Uber don't really have many drivers in Sheffield so surge pricing is often in effect during busy periods.

When it's exceptionally busy the surge price goes through the roof, and people will pay for it.

yes very true and for the past few years i have made a good living from surge pricing

people who think uber drivers are on less than minimum wages keep believing that

By all accounts, Uber drivers are cleaning up in London today (and not without criticism).