Facebook privacy infringement

Hi After a short absence from facebook I decided to rejoined and setup a new account and I could not believe that loads of my customers show up as potential new friends. How on earth are these contacts showing up ?.

It just goes to show that we are being spied on through our mobile telephone contacts. It seem's very wrong that this is being alowed to happen.

Has anyone else experienced this ?

Regards james

Hi After a short absence from facebook I decided to rejoined and setup a new account and I could not believe that loads of my customers show up as potential new friends. How on earth are these contacts showing up ?.

It just goes to show that we are being spied on through our mobile telephone contacts. It seem's very wrong that this is being alowed to happen.

Regards james

Yes. Its a social network.

Its supposed to be a networking tool to find and communicate with your contacts, potential contacts and allow contacts to find you. It syncs up people who you already know, with people who they know - who you might also know. People can serach for you and if you link with them facebook will sync up with people who they know who you might also know.

Did you read the terms and conditions when you signed up? Are you actually aware what facebook has access to and how it works before you pressed the "accept" button?

---------- Post added 14-05-2016 at 11:10 ----------

How the hell does it view contact on my phone ?

Because you give it access to your phone.

Regards james

I think information shared goes a lot further than they tell people.

I used to be on a subscription paid dating site (match.com) i swapped a couple of messages with someone, we met up, but things didn't go any further.Also, we never exchanged phone numbers, just met up via a single message on dating site.

Anyhow, about 6 months later the woman i met started to pop up as a potential friend i may know. Head scratching time for me:huh: How were FB able to make a connection with hardly any info. The date i went on only had my first name, not my surname, so how they do it? Furthermore...She lived about 50 miles from me with no friend links.

I think information shared goes a lot further than they tell people.

I used to be on a subscription paid dating site (match.com) i swapped a couple of messages with someone, we met up, but things didn't go any further.Also, we never exchanged phone numbers, just met up via a single message on dating site.

Anyhow, about 6 months later the woman i met started to pop up as a potential friend i may know. Head scratching time for me:huh: How were FB able to make a connection with hardly any info. The date i went on only had my first name, not my surname, so how they do it? Furthermore...She lived about 50 miles from me with no friend links.

Match.com is rather unscrupulous with data-resale apparently, Facebook might well have a deal with them where they buy up names and links between names on a regular basis.

It is astounding how much data is out there relating to each and all of us. My wife eschews every form of social media on purpose for this reason and I have to say, as someone who studies the subject extensively, there are times where I feel like I should as well. The only advantage I have is that I know how it works and don't necessarily fear it. I also know how to avoid the tracking if I don't want it.

If you are using Chrome you can see what sort of cookies you have on your system (these are shared via your Google Account which you will have if you use Android): Go to Settings, click on Show Advanced Settings, click on Content Settings, Click on All Cookies and site data and be astounded with the amount of rubbish on there (unless you clear it frequently).

Now that you see that, you need to start thinking of Facebook/Google/Apple and other social media and the way they track all your movements, for every cookie on your PC there is likely to be one on one of their servers, linked to your IP, name and any other data they can find out.

For Google this site is useful, it shows you how to find out more about what Google is tracking on you. Don't be fooled, this is very unlikely to be everything, but at least you can influence what they know etc. not so easy on Facebook!

It is important to realise that what they hold isn't with malicious intent, it is with commercial intent and in some cases even helps keep your account safe (try logging into your Google account on a new device and you should get an email that shows you which device and that if it wasn't you that you should take action now). But if you don't like that commercial intent, nor the feeling they know more about you than you realise, than I would strongly advice that you start showing an interest in how this all works and how you can alter what they might find out.

Match.com is rather unscrupulous with data-resale apparently, Facebook might well have a deal with them where they buy up names and links between names on a regular basis.

It is astounding how much data is out there relating to each and all of us. My wife eschews every form of social media on purpose for this reason and I have to say, as someone who studies the subject extensively, there are times where I feel like I should as well. The only advantage I have is that I know how it works and don't necessarily fear it. I also know how to avoid the tracking if I don't want it.

If you are using Chrome you can see what sort of cookies you have on your system (these are shared via your Google Account which you will have if you use Android): Go to Settings, click on Show Advanced Settings, click on Content Settings, Click on All Cookies and site data and be astounded with the amount of rubbish on there (unless you clear it frequently).

Now that you see that, you need to start thinking of Facebook/Google/Apple and other social media and the way they track all your movements, for every cookie on your PC there is likely to be one on one of their servers, linked to your IP, name and any other data they can find out.

For Google this site is useful, it shows you how to find out more about what Google is tracking on you. Don't be fooled, this is very unlikely to be everything, but at least you can influence what they know etc. not so easy on Facebook!

It is important to realise that what they hold isn't with malicious intent, it is with commercial intent and in some cases even helps keep your account safe (try logging into your Google account on a new device and you should get an email that shows you which device and that if it wasn't you that you should take action now). But if you don't like that commercial intent, nor the feeling they know more about you than you realise, than I would strongly advice that you start showing an interest in how this all works and how you can alter what they might find out.

I am assuming that the data that has been collected on me is only data that is available to the public domain, so why should I be concerned about companies organising that data?