Epicc theatre at Ecclesfield.

Yesterday I saw a production of A sting in the tail at the Epicc and there were a few empty seats.

Now the question is why do the people of Sheffield show little interest in local theatre, is it due to poor publicity or low expectation.

Could it be it does not sell alcohol, as many people associate going out for a good time with being able to drink?

As for the quality of the production it was superb. The acting, direction and scenery construction were first rate.

Perhaps lack of publicity has something to do with it. I would have gone if I'd known it was on, but didn't see any advertising, and I thought I was on their mailing list, but didn't receive any notification. Will have to look into it.

Thankyou for the website link. Very useful. The EPPIC is a great asset to have in a little village.

Edited by Anna B

Fact is I've never heard of this theatre at all. So it does need more publicity. We love the theatre so might take an interest in this one.

Agreed. I have usually found with theatres that it's only the biggest that really advertised. I only found one little Jem by word of mouth, the central city library theatre.

Theatre isn't really my thing. If it was I might know about this place but as it is I've not heard of it either. They advertise on their website as being on Twitter (which is where I get most of my inofrmation for events from) but they haven't Tweeted for 3 years. They haven't posted on Facebook for 5 months (where many people look) so I'm not that surprised there were empty seats especially if they don't mail their own mailing list either. Looks like a good reseource so it's a shame really but they're not helping themselves.

Problem with all of these places is that they run on volunteers. The advertising can only be as good as the volunteer doing it. Not everyone is fully aware or skilled in the world of social media and it often gets neglected.

Other forms of advertising costs money (including mailshots) and time to get it done, again that's down to the volunteers (or lack of) trying to fit it in.

Its a shame but its not unique to any unpaid voluntary project.

Problem with all of these places is that they run on volunteers. The advertising can only be as good as the volunteer doing it. Not everyone is fully aware or skilled in the world of social media and it often gets neglected.

Other forms of advertising costs money (including mailshots) and time to get it done, again that's down to the volunteers (or lack of) trying to fit it in.

Its a shame but its not unique to any unpaid voluntary project.

Agreed and I appreciate that but it is reflected in the empty seats.