Food in the 40s and 50s

Now I know you,r telling porkies Retep what I remember about Whitey he loved horses he would never eat one,in fact if he could he would marry one!.:roll::hihi::hihi:

I kid ye not, and Whitey would eat the horseshoes if someone gave them for free, their lass would say she wished he had married a horse as she wouldn't have to put up with him.:hihi:

I seem to recall that Locust had a rather bad smell to them. I am in my seventies and remember during the war my mother put meat on my dad's plate ,which he scoffed down only to be told later that it was horse meat.Because meat was scarce we would have sheep's brains on toast or the foul udder.My mother also made bacon bone broth ,which consisted of boiling bacon bones with lentils ,scraping the small amount of meat from the bones and pushing the lot through a colander to form a thick broth.How times have changed .

I seem to remember my Gran making brawn with a sheeps head.

I still make soup with Ham bones and Lentils/Split Peas

my mother used to bring Locus pods home they were about 9 to 12 inches long as Sweetdexter says and had a dark brown plasticy skin and were very sweet i loved them,in fact we bought them from a Chemists shop in Doncaster a couple of years ago.My Grandmother would cook rabbit stew and leave the head on it and we used to eat the eyes,tripe and onions in milk,brawn,tongue,beasts cheek,chitterlings and bag owsle, cow heel,tripe in vinegar,hearts kidneys liver,pigs feet,pigs chap,ox tail,ham bones in stew,she used to put some of these things between two plates with a couple of house bricks on to weight them down,all good grub.

My father told me about certain dodgy characters in the war used to kill cats,gut and skin them and sell them as rabbit!.Apparently the only way you can tell the difference is the rib bones,one has round bones the other flat ones,don,t ask me which!.I don,t know if this is true because sometimes dear old dad loved to kid us on a bit!.

---------- Post added 10-11-2015 at 10:48 ----------

My mother used to send me to the butchers where I would ask him,"Could we have a sheeps head and could you leave the legs on,also leave in the eyes its got to see us through the week?".

Anybody had beast's cheek lately. Melt in your mouth. Find your own recipe.

hiya i remember durint warr thy werr meight and putater pie wi no meight.my mum would eat offal tripe,chicklings and bag, trotters shin beef, udder, heart.not for me,

Edited by willybite