Food in the 40s and 50s

• 6 months later...

does any one still eat some of the horrible food from the 40s and 50s ,I`m thinking of stuff like udder ,pigs trotters,cow heel,tripe,chitterling and bag and worst of all horse meat from the shop at the bottom of duke st no wonder we were all so slim in those days

greasemonkey

My mother used to send me to the butchers where I would ask him,"Could we have a sheeps head and could you leave the legs on,also leave in the eyes its got to see us through the week?".

The McDonalds generation might have the cash but they don't have the humour to match like wot we did. :)

---------- Post added 16-05-2016 at 14:36 ----------

we always called meat n tater pie , forty to one chance.lovely grub.

And another example.

Whale Meat was available off ration, during the war.

Mother bought some, but we didn't get as far as eating it. She threw

it away because of the terrible stink while cooking it.

Who did you give it away to, Vera Lynn? I can hear it now "Whale Meet Again".;)

...The last shop to sell it around here was on Hereford Street I think!
Yes, that was Herbert Thomas's in the row of single-storey shops. Still listed in the 1971 Kelly's Directory, the property was demolished later that year. In recent years, the only occasion when I can remember horsemeat being mentioned in the media is when it was masquerading as beef. :(

Yes, that was Herbert Thomas's in the row of single-storey shops. Still listed in the 1971 Kelly's Directory, the property was demolished later that year. In recent years, the only occasion when I can remember horsemeat being mentioned in the media is when it was masquerading as beef. :(

There was a horsemeat butcher's shop just outside Leeds market still going strong well into the 80s.