By 2020, people will lose roughly 5 million jobs

A more complete definition

A situation in which all available labor resources are being used in the most economically efficient way. Full employment embodies the highest amount of skilled and unskilled labor that could be employed within an economy at any given time.

Part time work is not full employment, quite clearly.

If the UK could achieve such a thing it would be very good surely, business would be able to bring in some labour from other parts of the world or set up business in other parts of the world.

Are we talking about this again.

Has nobody else heard of creative destruction. It's actually traceable to Marx so I would have thought El Cid would understand.

I suppose it would be better if we all threw our wooden shoes into the machines and went back to subsistence farming by hand. We can all look forward to 12 hour days in all weather for literally barely enough to survive on for 30-40 years, followed by dying in abject poverty. Hooray!

:loopy:

Has nobody else heard of creative destruction. It's actually traceable to Marx so I would have thought El Cid would understand.

I suppose it would be better if we all threw our wooden shoes into the machines and went back to subsistence farming by hand. We can all look forward to 12 hour days in all weather for literally barely enough to survive on for 30-40 years, followed by dying in abject poverty. Hooray!

That's a strange reading of what people are saying, I'm surprised you came away with that interpretation. To me the issue is that in history we have tended to replace low skilled jobs with other low skilled jobs as technology advances. You may not be very aware of this because you may have always inhabited a particular social and work world where everyone is not dissimilar to yourself, but there are large numbers of people who can't do complex work. I'm not dissing them, it's luck of the draw: some people have a lot of brain power, others don't. What if technology changes in a way that means the people without much brain power no longer have any jobs they can do? That would be a situation we hadn't seen before.

A true AI is a long way off.

And we always assume that once there is a true AI it would be our enemy. Why?

Even if it was an enemy, humans think and do things in abstract and unpredictable ways. We would outsmart it.

Is it? You do realise how secretive this industry is? How would we know?

As for 'abstract and unpredictable ways' of humans - how often is that used or appreciated? In my experience autonomy in the work place is not encouraged, and is actively being extinguished. Everything now is target driven, 'best practice,' line managers, homogenous workers bringing homogenous outcomes, etc, even if it goes against the grain and is devoid of common sense. At the moment we are becoming the robots.

GPs, solicitors, accountants, for example, may all be in the next tranch of redundancies. Their jobs will soon be done by computer - no need for that huge library of medical books or case law, - it will all be in the computer program, (and, as I have been told on this forum many times, the law is not about justice, it's about the law,) so will be ideal, and let's not forget the most important requirement that seems to be the deciding factor, - cheap.

As for 'abstract and unpredictable ways' of humans - how often is that used or appreciated? In my experience autonomy in the work place is not encouraged, and is actively being extinguished. Everything now is target driven, 'best practice,' line managers, homogenous workers bringing homogenous outcomes, etc, even if it goes against the grain and is devoid of common sense. At the moment we are becoming the robots.

GPs, solicitors, accountants, for example, may all be in the next tranch of redundancies. Their jobs will soon be done by computer - no need for that huge library of medical books or case law, - it will all be in the computer program, (and, as I have been told on this forum many times, the law is not about justice, it's about the law,) so will be ideal, and let's not forget the most important requirement that seems to be the deciding factor, - cheap.

Cheap is the most important thing on SF!

Nobody is saying progress is a bad thing. Technology is amazing and could free us all from drudgery.

But unless the monetary system we have now isn't changed, and we find a way to share the wealth that technology can generate, many many of us will be dying in abject poverty with technology.

Even if it was an enemy, humans think and do things in abstract and unpredictable ways. We would outsmart it.

Judging by how slow my laptop is AI is a way off. Or is that because the user is dumb? Probably the latter :hihi:

Microsoft deletes 'teen girl' AI after it became a Hitler-loving sex robot within 24 hours.

A day after Microsoft introduced an innocent Artificial Intelligence chat robot to Twitter it has had to delete it after it transformed into an evil Hitler-loving, incestual sex-promoting, 'Bush did 9/11'-proclaiming robot.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2016/03/24/microsofts-teen-girl-ai-turns-into-a-hitler-loving-sex-robot-wit/

---------- Post added 18-05-2016 at 06:59 ----------

The world's first artificially intelligent lawyer was just hired at a law firm.

http://uk.businessinsider.com/the-worlds-first-artificially-intelligent-lawyer-gets-hired-2016-5

If the UK could achieve such a thing it would be very good surely, business would be able to bring in some labour from other parts of the world or set up business in other parts of the world.

You're a big fan of encouraging immigration then?

---------- Post added 18-05-2016 at 08:17 ----------

The 'industry' is mostly lead by academics, and they LOVE publishing papers about their work, it's what they do.

With that list of professions you're talking about expert systems, and these are a good thing, but they won't replace real people with common sense, they'll supplement them.

You're a big fan of encouraging immigration then?

We don't have anything close to full employment, we have millions of British people in need of more work, so no I don't support mass immigration on the grounds that it is unnecessary at this time and causes far more problems than it solves, I would support very selective immigration on a much smaller scale though.