Engraving stone, what to use

I want to engrave a small piece of stone with writing, prob about ten inches square, whats the best thing to use, I have borrowed a cheap engraver, but it's not up to the job, basically only just scratching the surface, and you can't really see it, although it is on a hard slate type of stone, and not sandstone, what am I best using,? A Dremmel,? It's only going to be a one off, so I don't want to spend too much.. Ideas,?

Dremel as you suggest, but with a template?

Print a paper version of the template, then dremel or cut or drill it out in some reasonably resilient material (wood, plastic or metal sheet) to use as a 'dremelling' guide, then use the dremel through the guide on the stone?

Then paint into the dremelled engraving for contrast and clear-varnish for lastability?

I want to engrave a small piece of stone with writing, prob about ten inches square, whats the best thing to use, I have borrowed a cheap engraver, but it's not up to the job, basically only just scratching the surface, and you can't really see it, although it is on a hard slate type of stone, and not sandstone, what am I best using,? A Dremmel,? It's only going to be a one off, so I don't want to spend too much.. Ideas,?

I have a dremmel you can borrow. It has the extension bit that means you can hang the main body of the tool on a hook and just use the pen like engraver.

Let me know if you need it and ill grab it from the garage.

Thanks loob.. But the stone is natural and not flat. It's Straight from the ground, with surface bumps, I will be ok freehand, but I need the right tool. There are literally loads of different Dremel models, any idea on the best for my needs,?

---------- Post added 17-05-2016 at 11:18 ----------

I have a dremmel you can borrow. It has the extension bit that means you can hang the main body of the tool on a hook and just use the pen like engraver.

Let me know if you need it and ill grab it from the garage.

Thanks for the offer, I may take it up.. Will I need some special bits for it,? Tungsten or such,?