Golf! the exclusion of women.

I haven't read through every post on the last 5 pages! (it'd take far too long!) so apologies if i'm repeating anything someone else has already said..

BUT i don't see what the issue is? There are golf glubs for men, for women and unisex. What's the problem? If you want to join men or women then go to a unisex one, if you fancy a game of golf without the nattering of overbearing women, or the dulcit tones of overbearing business men then go to the ones that only allow your sex!

There are plenty of events that only women or men attend, it's life! so what... Why does EVERYTHING have to be equal?

As for whoever mentioned Ann Summers! EEEWWW!! i wouldnt be seen dead attending one of those awful events! cheap and tatty products being sold to drunk women! no thanks..

You know, if this equal rights thing goes any further us women will soon be sharing public toilets with the ogres of our species!!

That's already been covered in post #92 (and previous posts)

What's with the massive swerve to avoid the question?

---------- Post added 27-05-2016 at 12:55 ----------

No they don't, if membership criteria is that you have to be male. This has already been covered several times throughout the last few pages.

I'm not swerving. If it's member get member for example.

No they don't, if membership criteria is that you have to be male. This has already been covered several times throughout the last few pages.

The Equality Act 2010 prevents establishments from gender discrimination. If they are challenged, they invariably lose. Well that was the last I heard on the matter.

The Equality Act 2010 prevents establishments from gender discrimination. If they are challenged, they invariably lose. Well that was the last I heard on the matter.

Private members clubs are exempt.

---------- Post added 27-05-2016 at 12:30 ----------

Come to think of it some public clubs like gyms might be too. There was a female only gym sometime ago.

Private members clubs are exempt.

EQUALITY ACT 2010: WHAT DO I NEED TO KNOW? A QUICK START GUIDE FOR PRIVATE CLUBS AND OTHER ASSOCIATIONS

What is an association covered by the Act?

The Act defines an association as an organisation that:

• has 25 or more members, and

• has rules (not necessarily formal or written) regulating who can be a member and there is a genuine selection process for members.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/85018/private-clubs.pdf

It would seem that are not excluded from this legislation.

Ah din't say you were!

I know. It was just for clarity.

Ah din't say they weren't!

You used Penstone999 as an example, I think we can safely assume he isn't.

Cyclist status, you've jumped the gun and assumed that a bunch of Penistones wouldn't become cyclists just to join a club (however unlikely that is).

Moronhood, debateable, the level of an individual's intelligence could come under disability. But as the equality act isn't only applicable to the protected characteristics, it could be discriminating anyway.

I am amused that you think Penistone999 might be mentally impaired. And if that were the case then excluding him for it would be wrong.

However I meant moron in the more general use of the term. If the cycle club don't like his opinions, they can exclude him for that reason. His opinions are not who he is. It can never be discrimination to exclude someone for their opinion.

"Discrimination can be because of who you are. It can also be because of who someone thinks you are or because of someone you're with or know, like a friend or your partner"

Indeed. But "who you are" is not what you think.

That's not what I said, you should read harder.

reads that way.

This is where we (sort of) agree that the equality act isn't adequate. I'm not a fan of rules being vague/unclarified/ambiguous.

Also, I didn't spot this before...

"Private members’ clubs and associations can never restrict membership because of colour, this is always unlawful race discrimination"

Well, we certainly agree that it's not adequate, at least if you think that then we agree.

That is interesting that all protected characteristics are not equal. And bizarre.

Only if it's a membership requirement (ie, written in the rules). They can't just exclude someone for gender if it's not an existing requirement.

they can always just change the rules of course.

EQUALITY ACT 2010: WHAT DO I NEED TO KNOW? A QUICK START GUIDE FOR PRIVATE CLUBS AND OTHER ASSOCIATIONS

What is an association covered by the Act?

The Act defines an association as an organisation that:

• has 25 or more members, and

• has rules (not necessarily formal or written) regulating who can be a member and there is a genuine selection process for members.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/85018/private-clubs.pdf

It would seem that are not excluded from this legislation.

Yes they are. If the club is not widely advertised, private or the point of discrimination is a main characteristic.

For example you can have a men's club or a women's club.

Yes they are. If the club is not widely advertised, private or the point of discrimination is a main characteristic.

For example you can have a men's club or a women's club.

Why does the government guide on the subject contradict this then? Do you have any reference material? In not disputing your claim. Infact the evidence seems to back it up and contradict the law.

Why does the government guide on the subject contradict this then? Do you have any reference material? In not disputing your claim. Infact the evidence seems to back it up and contradict the law.

So how do you explain male only golf clubs? Are they breaking the law?