Golf! the exclusion of women.

Unless it was set up for a particular group, of course.

I suspect "a golf club for men" would not meet the standard. Taking "for x" onto the end of the purpose of the club doesn't seem to be what the act means. Otherwise the act might as well not exist at all with regards to clubs.

I suspect "a golf club for men" would not meet the standard. Taking "for x" onto the end of the purpose of the club doesn't seem to be what the act means. Otherwise the act might as well not exist at all with regards to clubs.

Well, Muirfield is a private club, for male golfers. That's how it was set up and that's how it remains, it seems to meet the criteria.

Don't get me wrong, it's blatantly sexist and stubborn of them, I'm no fan of it. As a private club set up for a particular group they are within their rights though.

Has it been tested in court yet? Once it has, then we'll know for sure.

It's very possible that it'll never be tested in court. Many lawyers might think that a private club intended for a particular group does not contravene the equality act, what with it meeting the criteria word for word.

Out of curiosity I'd be very interested to hear an argument against it, can you think of one?

It's very possible that it'll never be tested in court. Many lawyers might think that a private club intended for a particular group does not contravene the equality act, what with it meeting the criteria word for word.

Out of curiosity I'd be very interested to hear an argument against it, can you think of one?

Many working mens clubs still do not give women full rights, its not something that toffs only toffs do, discriminate.

The act gives a very clear example of the sort of exception that is intended.

The broader interpretation you are applying means that no club will ever fall within it, as any club can be simply append "for whatever narrow discriminatory group we wish" on the end.

Social club for whites.

Social club for blacks.

Social club for men/women/under 40's/over 40's/gays/straights/folks who don't live in caravans/whatever.

In which case the act may as well not exist with regards to private clubs, which surely wasn't the intention.