Anxiety, our most common problem?

I was watching a recording of channel fours, JPs behind closed doors, and a doctor said that anxiety was the most common reason/cause of peoples visit to their GP.

Not exactly sure of the wording, but it surprised me that it is so common. I suffer quite a lot at the moment, I would struggle to know what to call it, stress, anxiety or nerves. I havnt been to see my GP about it tho.

I guess we all have too much to worry about, discrimination, IN or OUT, BBC bias; is that what is wrong with us, that get anxiety?

Anxiety and depression do seem to be very common illnesses and issues at the moment, I'm unsure if it's because we know more about mental health than ever before that we are now aware of what people are suffering from and are now able to help, or is it a case of over-diagnosis and just giving everything a label.

I can understand with the pressures of our day to day lives how people do end up suffering from stress/anxiety etc. We are all constantly balancing financial worries, fear of losing jobs, health worries, and keeping up with the Jones's is such a huge problem now, down to holiday destinations, the cars we drive, even the ridiculous amount of money spent on children's birthday parties/proms, it all just mounts up causing constant worry which I guess can manifest itself in anxiety/stress/depression.

I was watching a recording of channel fours, JPs behind closed doors, and a doctor said that anxiety was the most common reason/cause of peoples visit to their GP.

Not exactly sure of the wording, but it surprised me that it is so common. I suffer quite a lot at the moment, I would struggle to know what to call it, stress, anxiety or nerves. I havnt been to see my GP about it tho.

I guess we all have too much to worry about, discrimination, IN or OUT, BBC bias; is that what is wrong with us, that get anxiety?

Yes I sometimes have time off with something like depression. I don't call it that though. I combat with exercise, eating right & vitamins & simply log out.

If it strikes I just sit tight in the knowledge that it passes in 2 or 3 days. I need my own space when it happens.

Depression is no joke and can be fatal for some people. Luckily I have found a way to fight my own illness. But sympathise with many others.

My advice if you are feeling like you may have anxiety or depressive issues is to visit your GP. However decide if you want to try anti depressants as they do not work for everyone. Treat yourself well and don't keep toxic relationships. Eat right and stay active. It's ok to feel down so do not beat yourself up. Take time for yourself and practice Mindfulness and try and be grateful for what you have.

Yes I sometimes have time off with something like depression. I don't call it that though. I combat with exercise, eating right & vitamins & simply log out.

If it strikes I just sit tight in the knowledge that it passes in 2 or 3 days. I need my own space when it happens.

Depression is no joke and can be fatal for some people. Luckily I have found a way to fight my own illness. But sympathise with many others.

My advice if you are feeling like you may have anxiety or depressive issues is to visit your GP. However decide if you want to try anti depressants as they do not work for everyone. Treat yourself well and don't keep toxic relationships. Eat right and stay active. It's ok to feel down so do not beat yourself up. Take time for yourself and practice Mindfulness and try and be grateful for what you have.

You would not be able to have a choice of anti depressants with my old GP . All they ever issued were internet print outs.

I feel like being buy is a good thing for me, and I generally believe that pills dont help, unless its severe.

Most days I am ok, but I believes things will improve over time. I was surprised that the doc said it is so common. My guess would be that technology is many things worse. Would we all be better without smart phones and the like. Our behaviours have been learned over thousands of years, we cannot adapt in just a few decades.

I feel like being buy is a good thing for me, and I generally believe that pills dont help, unless its severe.

Most days I am ok, but I believes things will improve over time. I was surprised that the doc said it is so common. My guess would be that technology is many things worse. Would we all be better without smart phones and the like. Our behaviours have been learned over thousands of years, we cannot adapt in just a few decades.

Well I find I have to unplug for a while. It's Ok to feel bad sometimes and know it will pass, it is temporary. I try and do the right things, listen to body and follow a daily practice and that helps.

If you are so inclined meditation helps. It can be as simple as sitting quietly and breathing for 10 minutes in a morning.

Thinking about issues that matter is not the same as anxiety...

I think the trouble with society now is that people who feel 'fed up' for a short time think it's the same as 'depression' and it is not.

It can be. If it happens regularly for instance. Depressed people often have good days and bad days.

---------- Post added 23-05-2016 at 12:43 ----------

If something bad happens and the person feels down, They call that reactive depression.