Anxiety, our most common problem?

Mental illness is caused by each person's view of their personal problems. What is a problem for one person may not be a problem for another.In other words one person's mountain is another's molehill. These problems still need medical advice and treatment though.

Mental illness is caused by each person's view of their personal problems. What is a problem for one person may not be a problem for another.In other words one person's mountain is another's molehill. These problems still need medical advice and treatment though.

And yet depression can affect those who acknowledge that they have no problems...

Everything in their life is going splendidly, and yet they are still haunted by this overwhelming pit of despair, and inability to carry on. That's what makes it so hard to understand.

Depression is inherently non rational, and is often either unconnected to events or massively out of proportion to them. And the person suffering it may well actually know this intellectually. But that alters nothing. Simply knowing that the feelings are unreasonable doesn't somehow make them go away (although that knowledge might help them to deal with them).

I see what you mean. I feel that some people are more resilient than others & some people are putting on a brave face and all of a sudden, snap.

That's why depression is so personal and hard to properly diagnose from the outside and tricky to treat, although doctors have a go in the short time they have with patients and do tests and questionnaires.

---------- Post added 31-05-2016 at 12:21 ----------

And yet depression can affect those who acknowledge that they have no problems...

Everything in their life is going splendidly, and yet they are still haunted by this overwhelming pit of despair, and inability to carry on. That's what makes it so hard to understand.

I have a theory that it's these kinds of people benefit most from straight antidepressant medication. That it's the purest form of chemical inbalance.

I see what you mean. I feel that some people are more resilient than others & some people are putting on a brave face and all of a sudden, snap.

That's why depression is so personal and hard to properly diagnose from the outside and tricky to treat, although doctors have a go in the short time they have with patients and do tests and questionnaires.

---------- Post added 31-05-2016 at 12:21 ----------

I have a theory that it's these kinds of people benefit most from straight antidepressant medication. That it's the purest form of chemical inbalance.

It's about getting to the root cause of the problem and addressing it. Depression is very personal to the person. There are quite a few symptoms but isn't black and white. In my experience, there's always a root cause - this could be consciously or unconsciously. Had nothing to do with intellect and emotion is stronger than sense or reason. Men usually display physical symptoms more than expressing emotionally.

As far as antidepressants are concerned, I'd rather look at it holistically. Which serves a person better long term.

Edited by Futures Red

It's about getting to the root cause of the problem and addressing it. Depression is very personal to the person. There are quite a few symptoms but isn't black and white. In my experience, there's always a root cause - this could be consciously or unconsciously. Had nothing to do with intellect and emotion is stronger than sense or reason. Men usually display physical symptoms more than expressing emotionally.

As far as antidepressants are concerned, I'd rather look at it holistically. Which serves a person better long term.

What like CBT?

What like CBT?

CBT is ok, it's more of a conscious therapy. Most therapies do work in my opinion. It depends on the therapist. Just my beliefs and experience.

Mental health is not black and white and most people talk about MH in a text book form, ie it's either this or that diagnosis. Whilst we do need a "diagnosis" for something to work on; it's important that you are treating the person not the condition.

I don't like calling it illness as well. I'd call it a condition. Language is very important because our words become our actions.

In mental health, it's better to take an integrated approach. Also needs more emphasis and focus on how people get better rather than how "unwell" they are.

Maybe Mindfulness would help. This is a different approach. Everyone is so different though aren't they ?

Yes that's it... that's why an integrated approach is better. To some extent CBT could be mindfulness however mindfulness is a certain focus that you'll go through whereby you're conscious and unconscious mind can integrate and work together. It's amount being aware of yourself, situations, what you say, what you think and in some cases if you can, discover why you say what you say, do what you do and why you behave a certain way.

Internal and external communication is very important. Your mind is the driving force of who you are and who'll you become.