Anxiety, our most common problem?

Depression isn't just "feeling down". We've all felt down at some point, when a grandparent dies, or a pet, or so on. That's a normal reaction to a negative thing happening.

Depression is far more than just "feeling down" for a bit.

It can be. If it happens regularly for instance. Depressed people often have good days and bad days.

---------- Post added 23-05-2016 at 12:43 ----------

If something bad happens and the person feels down, They call that reactive depression.

I don't think you get what i'm saying..

If someone is feeling a bit fed up because of things happening around them, as mentioned in someone elses previous post then this is normal to feel this way and the majority of people will feel like this from time to time.. I get fed up and feel a bit off every so often but it doesnt affect my day to day life, i might mooch around a bit more and frown a bit more and sound like the most miserbale doom and gloom person there is but it's nothing more than just feeling fed up.. It passes and no more thought is given to it.. I used to think i was depressed.. Then i met my OH..

He suffers with depression and has done from being a young child, when i first met him he 'warned' me about his depression and being ignorant of the illness back then i shrugged it off as though the bloke just gets a bit down and ought to stop taking everything so seriously.. we were together for about 6 months when my first experience of his depression happened, i can't say anything triggered it, there wasn't anything obvious to have caused it, he was happy, healthy, worked hard, earned good money, surrounded by loving friends and family and it was a shock to see someone who was life and soul of everyday living just turn into a shadow of man, he didnt leave his bed for 3 weeks! he didnt eat, he didnt want to talk and it was a wake up call for me..

Depression isn't just "feeling down". We've all felt down at some point, when a grandparent dies, or a pet, or so on. That's a normal reaction to a negative thing happening.

Depression is far more than just "feeling down" for a bit.

You are trying to categorize this as not depression, but let me tell you why I think that's wrong.

The medical term is reactive depression. Is it real depression? well that's subjective imho. It can certainly be depression or evolve into a more serious depression.

I'm talking also about days or periods where you feel down for no reason. If that happens regularly you need to visit your GP and take it from there.

---------- Post added 23-05-2016 at 13:59 ----------

I don't think you get what i'm saying..

If someone is feeling a bit fed up because of things happening around them, as mentioned in someone elses previous post then this is normal to feel this way and the majority of people will feel like this from time to time.. I get fed up and feel a bit off every so often but it doesnt affect my day to day life, i might mooch around a bit more and frown a bit more and sound like the most miserbale doom and gloom person there is but it's nothing more than just feeling fed up.. It passes and no more thought is given to it.. I used to think i was depressed.. Then i met my OH..

He suffers with depression and has done from being a young child, when i first met him he 'warned' me about his depression and being ignorant of the illness back then i shrugged it off as though the bloke just gets a bit down and ought to stop taking everything so seriously.. we were together for about 6 months when my first experience of his depression happened, i can't say anything triggered it, there wasn't anything obvious to have caused it, he was happy, healthy, worked hard, earned good money, surrounded by loving friends and family and it was a shock to see someone who was life and soul of everyday living just turn into a shadow of man, he didnt leave his bed for 3 weeks! he didnt eat, he didnt want to talk and it was a wake up call for me..

I know what you are talking about. When a negative life event happens and you feel down and you go to the doctors it's called reactive depression.

It may or may not require treatment, it may or may not evolve into more serious depression....but you can't definitely say it's not depression because that's wrong.

What you are describing now just sounds like you needed to meet someone for whatever reason. You were just unhappy. And that bloke you met, well that sounds like serious depression....but symptoms are different. I know people & including myself who can go days feeling fine and then literally can't get out of bed for 2 or 3 days...still functioning but not as bad as staying in bed for 3 weeks and not eating.

And that's even not drinking alcohol, not smoking or taking drugs, things going well, exercising and eating healthy food. Just a black cloud, that's how best I can describe it.

Edited by Tomjames

You are trying to categorize this as not depression, but let me tell you why I think that's wrong.

Trying to categorise what? Being sad because something happened?

That's most definitely NOT depression, it's an entirely natural emotional response to whatever it was that happened.

Reactive depression, which is sometimes referred to as an adjustment disorder with depressed mood, is a decreased mood state that is a response to a specific psychosocial stressor. In other words, reactive depression is a mild to moderate depression following a stressful event.

The medical term is reactive depression. Is it real depression? well that's subjective imho. It can certainly be depression or evolve into a more serious depression.

I'm talking also about days or periods where you feel down for no reason. If that happens regularly you need to visit your GP and take it from there.

Well, yes, entirely. But here you've changed entirely what you said from "in reaction to an event" to "for no reason". These are exact opposites.

You are trivialising depression by describing it as "feeling down". Depression is not "feeling down", feeling down is within the normal emotional response of people. Depression is much more than just "feeling down".

---------- Post added 23-05-2016 at 13:59 ----------

I know what you are talking about. When a negative life event happens and you feel down and you go to the doctors it's called reactive depression.

It may or may not require treatment, it may or may not evolve into more serious depression....but you can't definitely say it's not depression because that's wrong.

What you are describing now just sounds like you needed to meet someone for whatever reason. You were just unhappy. And that bloke you met, well that sounds like serious depression....but symptoms are different. I know people & including myself who can go days feeling fine and then literally can't get out of bed for 2 or 3 days...still functioning but not as bad as staying in bed for 3 weeks and not eating.

EH!!!! You've lost me?

Exactly, depression can obviously vary from mild to severe, but it's never just "feeling down". It's a serious problem, it results in people dying, lives being wasted, relationships ending. It might be triggered, it might happen without an obvious reason, it might be temporary or it might be persistent. But it's not "just feeling down".

---------- Post added 23-05-2016 at 14:09 ----------

And going back to the OP for a minute. Google provides this quick summary of the difference between anxiety and depression;

Anxiety & Anxiety Disorder

Feeling of fear, apprehension and excessive anxiety energy

Depression

Feeling of emptiness, deep sadness or misery, loss of hope

That's most definitely NOT depression, it's an entirely natural emotional response to whatever it was that happened.

Well, yes, entirely. But here you've changed entirely what you said from "in reaction to an event" to "for no reason". These are exact opposites.

You are trivialising depression by describing it as "feeling down". Depression is not "feeling down", feeling down is within the normal emotional response of people. Depression is much more than just "feeling down".

I've lived with depression for 20 years. I'm not trivialising depression.:confused:

Exactly, depression can obviously vary from mild to severe, but it's never just "feeling down". It's a serious problem, it results in people dying, lives being wasted, relationships ending. It might be triggered, it might happen without an obvious reason, it might be temporary or it might be persistent. But it's not "just feeling down".

Excactly and that is what i'm saying.. Society today are too quick to label it as depression rather than just feeling down / blue / fed up..

It's totally normal to feel down. Depression is an entirely different entity..

EH!!!! You've lost me?

You said you were moping about the house and then you met someone...etc.

---------- Post added 23-05-2016 at 14:12 ----------

No it's called reactive depression. When you feel sad and low for a period of time following a negative life event.

That's the medical term.

You said you were moping about the house and then you met someone...etc.

No i didn't!

I was trying to compare the feeling of being fed up, as i get from time to time with depression!

Never said nowt about moping around the house with a lonely heart haha :hihi: