Anxiety, our most common problem?

You said you were moping about the house and then you met someone...etc.

---------- Post added 23-05-2016 at 14:12 ----------

No it's called reactive depression. When you feel sad and low for a period of time following a negative life event.

That's the medical term.

No, it isn't. I quoted the definition of reactive depression. It is NOT just feeling sad because a bad thing happened. That's a normal emotional response. You are trivialising depression.

No i didn't!

I was trying to compare the feeling of being fed up, as i get from time to time with depression!

Never said nowt about moping around the house with a lonely heart haha :hihi:

Ok, fair enough. I don't know you, just going on what you said.

---------- Post added 23-05-2016 at 14:15 ----------

No, it isn't. I quoted the definition of reactive depression. It is NOT just feeling sad because a bad thing happened. That's a normal emotional response. You are trivialising depression.

Ok my doctor is wrong and you are right then. Well done.

This includes a list of symptoms of depression

http://www.webmd.com/depression/is-it-depression-or-the-blues

And reactive depression is entering a depressive state in response to some stimuli.

Feeling bad about stuff that happened is not in the list of symptoms of depression, and so temporarily feeling a bit down due to bad stuff happening is not reactive depression, it's just a normal emotional response.

---------- Post added 23-05-2016 at 14:17 ----------

Ok my doctor is wrong and you are right then. Well done.

Perhaps it's just you that is wrong and you've either paraphrased or misunderstood your doctor.

I seriously doubt that your doctor told you that any time someone feels a bit down they are suffering from reactive depression.

This includes a list of symptoms of depression

http://www.webmd.com/depression/is-it-depression-or-the-blues

And reactive depression is entering a depressive state in response to some stimuli.

Feeling bad about stuff that happened is not in the list of symptoms of depression, and so temporarily feeling a bit down due to bad stuff happening is not reactive depression, it's just a normal emotional response.

Well done. You can use the internet. Why even bother going to medical school?:hihi:

---------- Post added 23-05-2016 at 14:20 ----------

Perhaps it's just you that is wrong and you've either paraphrased or misunderstood your doctor.

I seriously doubt that your doctor told you that any time someone feels a bit down they are suffering from reactive depression.

Well it's on a medical report. But like I say I trust your judgement on such matters you're obviously a highly trained professional.

---------- Post added 23-05-2016 at 14:27 ----------

I'm going to go now, research quantum physics on google for 2 minutes become an expert...toodle pip.

Exactly, depression can obviously vary from mild to severe, but it's never just "feeling down".

Well I would disagree with that exact point if the just "feeling down" lasts for a long time and cannot be shaken off. i agree that many say they are depressed when they just have temporary low mood, due to tiredness or because their pet has just died. But its possible for the only symptom of depression to be just "feeling down".

Well done. You can use the internet. Why even bother going to medical school?:hihi:

---------- Post added 23-05-2016 at 14:20 ----------

Well it's on a medical report. But like I say I trust your judgement on such matters you're obviously a highly trained professional.

---------- Post added 23-05-2016 at 14:27 ----------

I'm going to go now, research quantum physics on google for 2 minutes become an expert...toodle pip.

What is on a medical report?

A description that says "whenever someone feels a bit down it's reactive depression".

---------- Post added 23-05-2016 at 14:59 ----------

Well I would disagree with that exact point if the just "feeling down" lasts for a long time and cannot be shaken off. i agree that many say they are depressed when they just have temporary low mood, due to tiredness or because their pet has just died. But its possible for the only symptom of depression to be just "feeling down".

Yes, if it's persistent then it might be diagnosed as mild depression, but that's not what Tomjames said.

---------- Post added 23-05-2016 at 15:01 ----------

[/color]I'm going to go now, research quantum physics on google for 2 minutes become an expert...toodle pip.

Amusing that you think research it on the internet is less valid than repeat what you're misremembering from a partial explanation given to you by a GP (who is highly trained but not specifically in mental health).

When I was in my mid 20s I went through a rough patch and started having panic attacks. When I went to see my G.P. she diagnosed mild depression. No longer have panic attacks, thankfully. Whenever conversations like this come up people often, but not always, say that when they were feeling low they had problems with anxiety.

I'm just wondering if anyone on here knows why anxiety & depression happen at the same time? Is it something to do with the body's chemistry, or the way we feel or think about things when we feel crap which means they often occur at the same time?

When I was in my mid 20s I went through a rough patch and started having panic attacks. When I went to see my G.P. she diagnosed mild depression. No longer have panic attacks, thankfully. Whenever conversations like this come up people often, but not always, say that when they were feeling low they had problems with anxiety.

I'm just wondering if anyone on here knows why anxiety & depression happen at the same time? Is it something to do with the body's chemistry, or the way we feel or think about things when we feel crap which means they often occur at the same time?

Cyclone knows. He's had years of medical training on google.

When "feeling down" starts to have a negative impact on your life, regardless of what you call it, you can end up serious periods of spiralling descent. Some people, unsurprisingly, find this easier to deal with than others. Many don't even realise it is happening, and are incredibly grateful for what others may call over-diagnosis, when they finally do have a 'nervous breakdown'.

I think a lot of common mental illness (i.e the exact opposite of mental wellness, whatever the hell that is) is caused by a fundamental incompatibility between our mammalian nervous system and the world we have ended up 'creating'.

I think a lot of common mental illness (i.e the exact opposite of mental wellness, whatever the hell that is) is caused by a fundamental incompatibility between our mammalian nervous system and the world we have ended up 'creating'.

I think that must be true, as it is so common.