Anxiety, our most common problem?

And feeling a bit down is also caused by external events, and is entirely normal.

Yes I agree.

I sense the expectation that we all should be happy is definitely prevalent. After the death of a loved one, grieving is normal and some symptoms of depression are to be expected. I suppose it's a question of severity & length of the grieving that has to be taken into consideration.

We've just had 'Mental Health' week. The truth is that mental illness is the fastest growing health problem we have today. Suicide rates are rocketing.

At the same time provision is at its lowest ever and has suffered major government cuts. The help simply isn't there.

Mental health often has to deal with crisis situations. Putting someone who is suicidal on a 10 month waiting list is not helpful.

Feeling down to one person might be feeling depressed to another. And vice versa. It's important to not put labels on people.

It's not black and white... that's the problem with some GPs... it's not black and white or monkey read, monkey see then monkey do. It's a little bit more to it than that.

What I will say though is you are who you are, you are what you think you are and what you think you become. So be careful of the words you choose, because words become our actions.

---------- Post added 25-05-2016 at 13:19 ----------

We've just had 'Mental Health' week. The truth is that mental illness is the fastest growing health problem we have today. Suicide rates are rocketing.

At the same time provision is at its lowest ever and has suffered major government cuts. The help simply isn't there.

Mental health often has to deal with crisis situations. Putting someone who is suicidal on a 10 month waiting list is not helpful.

Mental health and emotional management should be trained in school. That possibly would work. Emotional education needs to be radical. Out with the old school of thought and in with the new.

Mental health and emotional management should be trained in school. That possibly would work. Emotional education needs to be radical. Out with the old school of thought and in with the new.

Not quite sure what you have in mind. Perhaps you could clarify.

Also,with respect, is there anything else that is the responsibility of the school? It seems that these days, it is expected to be able to solve all life's issues.

Not quite sure what you have in mind. Perhaps you could clarify.

Also,with respect, is there anything else that is the responsibility of the school? It seems that these days, it is expected to be able to solve all life's issues.

Well I hear what you are saying and I think we all know that education starts at home, however we need to be able to adapt to the modern world and have the flexibility to change.

School ought to have some system of helping children with life's challenges. That's an education within itself. We need an education system that compliments life education with academic education - which I think it lacks.

Feeling down to one person might be feeling depressed to another. And vice versa. It's important to not put labels on people.

Rubbish.

Depression is a medical diagnosis of a set of symptoms. It's important to be able to label dysfunctional states to differentiate them from normal emotional states. And the key thing about it is that it's the symptoms that drive the diagnosis, so by definition they are not different for different people (although there are a range of symptoms and it's not just black and white).

It's not black and white... that's the problem with some GPs... it's not black and white or monkey read, monkey see then monkey do. It's a little bit more to it than that.

What does this even mean?

What I will say though is you are who you are, you are what you think you are and what you think you become. So be careful of the words you choose, because words become our actions.

Meaningless psycho babble.

---------- Post added 25-05-2016 at 14:43 ----------

We need an education system that compliments life education with academic education - which I think it lacks.

Why do we? Schools exist to teach academic lessons. Parents exist to teach children how to live life.

Rubbish.

Depression is a medical diagnosis of a set of symptoms. It's important to be able to label dysfunctional states to differentiate them from normal emotional states. And the key thing about it is that it's the symptoms that drive the diagnosis, so by definition they are not different for different people (although there are a range of symptoms and it's not just black and white).

What does this even mean?

Meaningless psycho babble.

---------- Post added 25-05-2016 at 14:43 ----------

Why do we? Schools exist to teach academic lessons. Parents exist to teach children how to live life.

You really are like a robot :hihi:

Depression is a medical condition... really! It's people like you are cause people to go backwards. Meaningless psycho babble... yes to you. People aren't labels, they are people. I bet you work with computers don't you?

If the physical symptoms are similar, and the subjective reality is similar, then I suspect the brain chemistry is similar.

Would you consider the possibility that reactive depression is in fact functionally identical to depression in every respect apart from timescale, and that external negative events precipitate a change in brain chemistry - the same change observed in chronic depression, only for a shorter time?

When does feeling down turn to depression or is it all depression? We know what causes depression.

Speaking from experience 18 months on from a close family member dying..still depression exists.

Who's to say what is or isn't depression objectively.

---------- Post added 25-05-2016 at 14:19 ----------

You really are like a robot :hihi:

Depression is a medical condition... really! It's people like you are cause people to go backwards. Meaningless psycho babble... yes to you. People aren't labels, they are people. I bet you work with computers don't you?

60'000 posts says unemployed.

Edited by Tomjames