Anxiety, our most common problem?

Well I'm not going to say on a public forum. But let me say this. Mental whilst people are becoming more aware, the system is failing more. That's irrefutable.

The problem with mental health is that people suddenly become black and white and whilst you can say it is medical, it needs to be treated differently. You can't treat everyone the same for a start and black and white thinking towards mental health only leads to a brick wall and ultimately failure.

From what you're suggesting you appear to be offering a personal anecdote.

That doesn't give me a good reason to believe you.

Is feeling down not just depression though?

I dont think it is but i am only going on my personal experience and opinion.

I get down from time to time over trivial things and my OH suffers with depression, the difference in our mental states are worlds apart.

From what you're suggesting you appear to be offering a personal anecdote.

That doesn't give me a good reason to believe you.

Well that's up to you, you don't have to believe me... it's subjective. Obviously it's all opinions and when I said believe me, I'll confirm right now that you don't have to. :)

---------- Post added 25-05-2016 at 15:44 ----------

I dont think it is but i am only going on my personal experience and opinion.

I get down from time to time over trivial things and my OH suffers with depression, the difference in our mental states are worlds apart.

Hence it's different to different people and only a perception to each individual. I don't happen to think getting down from moment to moment is depression, however if this continues, then it's time to look at a lifestyle change.

Well that's up to you, you don't have to believe me... it's subjective. Obviously it's all opinions and when I said believe me, I'll confirm right now that you don't have to. :)

Or as an alternative you could offer up evidence to support your opinion.

What would it do to you if I did?

Huh, what would it do to me?

If you have an opinion without evidence and have to suggest to people that they believe you, that's not really a good reason to believe you

If you have an opinion backed up with evidence, that's gives everyone a chance to consider your position and formulate a rebuttal, if appropriate.

Unless you don't prefer to debate, then stick with what you're doing.

I think depression isn't or shouldn't be a static meaning.

I think you're right in the sense that everyone is different, and at different points in our lives we are more resilient than at other points.

However I do know that there are more 'objective' criteria by which a doctor can establish if someone is depressed. Whether or not that is adequate is perhaps a different question.

Edited by Mister M

There is a difference between anxiety and depression. Anxiety is usually caused by external pressures but depression sometimes follows on from anxiety. You can also be depressed without being anxious. They both need expert medical advice as depression may be caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain. A drug can be prescribed to correct this imbalance .