Anxiety, our most common problem?

I'm wrong, google is wrong, the only thing that is correct is your 2nd hand, misunderstood anecdote.

Nah, only joking.

You're wrong.

I don't actually understand why you wish to define something that is an entirely normal emotional response as a medical condition. Why do you think this would be correct or helpful?

Here, look more closely at this

PERSISTENT.

Not, feeling down, because something bad happened, which as we all know is entirely normal.

A two word definition isn't evidence.

Is feeling down not just depression though?

No. Everyone feels down from time to time. It's being fed up, not depressed in the medical sense. Your mood lifts, you get over it.

It can become depression though. Depression persists even though you might have nothing to feel depressed about. Life is good, but there is a black hole where your emotion should be.

Depression doesn't always show either. Sometimes people who seem outwardly happy can be suffering with deep seated depression. The first people know about it is when they commit suicide. Look at Robin Williams.

Actually, quite a lot of comedians suffer with depression which is interesting.

No. Everyone feels down from time to time. It's being fed up, not depressed in the medical sense. Your mood lifts, you get over it.

It can become depression though. Depression persists even though you might have nothing to feel depressed about. Life is good, but there is a black hole where your emotion should be.

Depression doesn't always show either. Sometimes people who seem outwardly happy can be suffering with deep seated depression. The first people know about it is when they commit suicide. Look at Robin Williams.

Actually, quite a lot of comedians suffer with depression which is interesting.

Yes it can be called over compensating. A little like when people go out of their way to "prove" to people that they are this or that they are that.

I loved Robin Williams :|

I was watching a recording of channel fours, JPs behind closed doors, and a doctor said that anxiety was the most common reason/cause of peoples visit to their GP.

Not exactly sure of the wording, but it surprised me that it is so common. I suffer quite a lot at the moment, I would struggle to know what to call it, stress, anxiety or nerves. I havnt been to see my GP about it tho.

I guess we all have too much to worry about, discrimination, IN or OUT, BBC bias; is that what is wrong with us, that get anxiety?

---------- Post added 26-05-2016 at 13:34 ----------

When "feeling down" starts to have a negative impact on your life, regardless of what you call it, you can end up serious periods of spiralling descent. Some people, unsurprisingly, find this easier to deal with than others. Many don't even realise it is happening, and are incredibly grateful for what others may call over-diagnosis, when they finally do have a 'nervous breakdown'.

I think a lot of common mental illness (i.e the exact opposite of mental wellness, whatever the hell that is) is caused by a fundamental incompatibility between our mammalian nervous system and the world we have ended up 'creating'.

Could be things you do for yourself, such as:

Holistic approaches.

Being charitable.

Yoga

Enough sleep (very important)

Keeping fit etc.

---------- Post added 26-05-2016 at 13:47 ----------

I dont think it is but i am only going on my personal experience and opinion.

I get down from time to time over trivial things and my OH suffers with depression, the difference in our mental states are worlds apart.

Depression is fluid. Highs and lows and also periods free of depression. Remember, some people show more resiliance when suffering depression, others not.

Edited by GLASGOWOODS

I've only just picked up this thread and I've read the backlog.

Imagine my shock at finding it full of meaningless drivel by Futures Red, with Cyclone once again trying to counter said drivel with evidence and facts.

This is developing into something of a theme.

I've only just picked up this thread and I've read the backlog.

Imagine my shock at finding it full of meaningless drivel by Futures Red, with Cyclone once again trying to counter said drivel with evidence and facts.

This is developing into something of a theme.

It's only meaningless drivel to you because you don't fully understand the process of mental health and how'd you successfully help people with mental health problems.

The problem with you is you are unbalanced and your certain level of thinking causes you great limitations within you as a person and as a persons - as a whole.

The fact that you've come on this particular thread to talk about me, means that you unconsciously think I challenge you and you think I'm challenging... which also means that I live inside your head.

This is evidence of the above - in case you ask.

You are a bright person no doubt. I said yesterday I like you, you are a unique person with a good brain, but let your mind wonder from time to time. Let it discover the real you - inside yourself.

Don't become a jack of all trades and a master of none... because you have potential. But free your mind and rise up a level of thinking.

On that note... I'm saying no more, gotta go and live.

It's only meaningless drivel to you because you don't fully understand the process of mental health and how'd you successfully help people with mental health problems.

The problem with you is you are unbalanced and your certain level of thinking causes you great limitations within you as a person and as a persons - as a whole.

The fact that you've come on this particular thread to talk about me, means that you unconsciously think I challenge you and you think I'm challenging... which also means that I live inside your head.

This is evidence of the above - in case you ask.

You are a bright person no doubt. I said yesterday I like you, you are a unique person with a good brain, but let your mind wonder from time to time. Let it discover the real you - inside yourself.

Don't become a jack of all trades and a master of none... because you have potential. But free your mind and rise up a level of thinking.

On that note... I'm saying no more, gotta go and live.

More drivel. Especially the notion that you have achieved a higher level of thinking than the rest of us because you reject reason which is the height of drivel.

I'm confident I know a hell of a lot more about mental health than you.

that last post from futures red, I thought I'd nearly achieved enlightenment. Then I realised it was just an aneurysm and that I should probably see a doctor (a real one, with real medical knowledge, not a new age one who'd tell me to let myself fly and open my mind).