Australian, Malaysia and other nationals voting in EU referendum

Indeed it is, but Ireland (the Republic) hasn't been a part of the UK for a century, and the distinction is irrelevant to the issue raised in your OP: the net effect is the exact same in 2016, the Irish residing in the UK are "not UK citizens being allowed to vote on the future of the Britain's role in the EU"

(not a dig, just a statement of fact :))

Considering their numbers, and your theme about the effect of the non-British-but-voting's volume of votes on the referendum outcome, I'd have thought they would be of interest to you in this debate :)

On paper it's very similar but in effect I would say it's very different. English/Irish connection is much stronger than the Australia/England connection or the connection to any of our ex-colonies. We still have passport free travel between the Republic ir Ireland and the UK mainland.

On paper it's very similar but in effect I would say it's very different. English/Irish connection is much stronger than the Australia/England connection or the connection to any of our ex-colonies. We still have passport free travel between the Republic ir Ireland and the UK mainland.
What relevance the above to your OP?

I'm not disputing the possibility of a closer cultural angle, you keep losing the context of your own thread ;): the Irish outnumber the Aussies and Malays 5 to 1 or thereabouts and, unlike them, are citizens of a distinct EU member state with stronger rights of movement and residence in the UK than those of other non-EU Commonwealth citizens due to the UK's EU membership.

What relevance the above to your OP?

I'm not disputing the possibility of a closer cultural angle, you keep losing the context of your own thread ;): the Irish outnumber the Aussies and Malays 5 to 1 or thereabouts and, unlike them, are citizens of a distinct EU member state with stronger rights of movement and residence in the UK than those of other non-EU Commonwealth citizens due to the UK's EU membership.

Im not losing the context. Im pointing out your example is not comparable, for the reasons I have given.

Im not losing the context. Im pointing out your example is not comparable, for the reasons I have given.
OK then, please tell me how and why Irish citizens are not "people who are not UK citizens being allowed to vote on the future of the Britain's role in the EU"? :huh:

For the reasons I have already given.
Eh? :confused:

That reply doesn't make sense relative to my question :huh:

Can we agree that Irish citizens are not UK citizens? If no, why not?

Can we agree that they're being allowed to vote on the future of the Britain's role in the EU in the 23 June referendum? If no, why not?

If yes to both questions, then -again- how and why are Irish citizens not "people who are not UK citizens being allowed to vote on the future of the Britain's role in the EU"?

And if they are indeed "people who are not UK citizens being allowed to vote on the future of the Britain's role in the EU", then they're no different at all to Commonwealth citizens such as Australians, New Zealanders, Malays, etc. being allowed to vote on the future of the Britain's role in the EU.

Edited by L00b

Just seems odd how non nationals are voting in our elections. There are over 100,000 Australians and 59,000 Malaysians living in the UK. Thats a sizable number that can effect our electoral outcomes. British Citizens don't have the rights to vote in their elections.

NOT TRUE, at least in Australia's case. British subjects living permanently in Australia, who are not Australian citizens, are eligible to vote in federal elections AND referendums. In fact some non-Australian British residents will have voted in the 1999 Australian Republic referendum.

additionally, Australia takes it much further. Of non Australian citizen British residents who are on the electoral roll, voting is COMPULSORY. They are not only eligible to vote, but despite being foreigners, they are COMPELLED BY LAW to vote.

however I very much doubt whether non Malaysian citizen British subjects, permanently residing in Malaysia - and there is thousands of them - will be able to vote in Malaysian elections like they could do in Australia.

there's many more than 100,000 Australians and 59,000 Malaysians in the UK anyway. Those are only the ones who are residents and therefore eligible to apply for, and to vote in the referendum.

Nearly a million of these non British citizen voters are able to vote with the vast majority expected to vote to Remain.

---------- Post added 26-05-2016 at 01:40 ----------

give some locals a job for a change.

Wouldn't give a job to someone just because they are local. I prefer to hire the candidate that is most qualified, competent at the job and fit the team dynamics.

Business is not a charity.