Help with selling a car

He doesn't need it.

When I recently bought a second hand car I insured it in advance from the day I was to pick it up.

Having paid and got the paperwork I immediately taxed it online before driving home.

It's simple and easy.

When I had bought my car, I paid a £100 deposit to the garage owner with a promise to pay the rest later in the week when I collected the car. The next day, I called him up and got the Doc Ref Number so that I could tax the vehicle, thereby allowing me to drive the car home legally later in the week when I paid for it. The garage owner was happy to give me that number.

Your buyer does not "need" that number right now, but it will make it convenient for him to tax the vehicle. The other way of doing it will be for him to pay you, get the V5C document from you and then to tax it online.

Also, I don't think that him having that number cannot do you any harm. The V5C document is still in your name, and you are still the registered keeper of the car - and there is no way he can prove he bought the car off you until you give him a receipt.

Yea it's just more convenient for the new owner.

Technically as soon as the payment go's through online you can jump in and drive away, but you'll still probably ping ANPR on a police car as their system doesn't update all that quick.

No-one wants to get pulled by the police.