Looking for a job an employers market?

they don't receive a fee for every candidate interviewed, but they are expected to field a decent line up for interview and then take a commission based on a %age of starting salary. So you were being fielded to make a decent line up

My understanding is it's normal only to receive a fee if they place the successful candidate and that the commission is staggered based on how successful and how long the candidate stays.

when we have used them it was 20% of starting salary including any benefits (car, PHI etc). If they stayed less than 6 months, then you negotiated a refund. Some may have the refund %age built into the contract, can't remember, been a few years since I was involved

when we have used them it was 20% of starting salary including any benefits (car, PHI etc). If they stayed less than 6 months, then you negotiated a refund. Some may have the refund %age built into the contract, can't remember, been a few years since I was involved

Coming from an employer's POV, when we use an agency we normally get tied into an exclusive deal with them. On employing someone, we have to pay back a %age of the employee's salary to the recruitment agency, of which we can claim some back if they prove to be no good up to a period of 3 months.

We discuss salaries in the second interview to identify what the employee really wants, not what the agency really wants (agencies push up salaries as it makes them more money). Plus we need to budget them properly, we need to be able to afford to employ them and pay the agency fees.

Anna B, in the UK some temporary roles are offered only small limited companies, to avoid to the possibility of the employee gaining certain employment rights. Where a person does not run their own company and does not want the expense of setting up and running a limited company, they can take these jobs through an umbrella company. The umbrella company charges their employees fees for the services the umbrella companies supply. These costs are usually lower than the cost of running your own company.

So I work in IT and have recently started looking round for a new job. I mostly use job websites, things like Jobsite, Indeed jobs, Totaljobs etc. Generally the jobs I go for suit my skills and if I'm lucky I generally get an interview, and almost always through employment agencies - this is how I got my current job a couple of years ago.

What seriously winds me up is how I get treated, both by the agencies and sometimes the employers too.

They'll be happy, accessible and full of beans on initial contact - full of promises to keep me up-to-date, give me any feedback after the interview and be my best friend! However the minute the interview is over and I've called them back with how I thought it went, that's it - all contact is suddenly broken (unless of course I'm successful in getting through).

There's no forthcoming information about how I did, no feedback to help me improve next time, nothing.

At one point I even went as far as finding out more about one recruiter by Googling them, searching the company details etc and getting 3 different numbers for them. Left several messages and still never received a callback after the interview.

There was another time I applied for a role which matched perfectly what I've been doing for years in knowledge and experience and I didn't even get past the agency, of course I politely enquired as to why I hadn't got through so as to help me next time - and of course no response.

Yet I obviously have to put on my best smile and best foot forwards again and again, every time I apply for a role to try and give myself the best possible chance. It just seems such a 2 faced business to be in, whilst lacking utterly in aftercare...

Does anyone else find this happens to them too?

Yeah, that's pretty much how it goes, although generally agencies do give you the call to tell you that the company won't be progressing in my experience, but actual feedback or common sense, no.

I've had applications turned down by agencies when they can't find the 1 particular buzz word, they don't themselves know what it means and they won't accept that it's actually really trivial. Just the way it goes.

I have to work with these people regularly, so I'm not rude, but I have told them before that they won't find anyone as they're being too rigid.

---------- Post added 25-05-2016 at 08:04 ----------

The problem is partly how you find these jobs without using an agency though, it's impossible to trawl through so many business websites trying for direct applications. The other option is just to stick with big businesses direct or public offices, but I think that's quite limiting.

And whilst I'm on my soapbox...

There is also the way agencies don't disclose which company the job is with until the last minute, on several occasions I've unknowingly applied for a position multiple times through different agencies!

And don't get me started on secret salaries. I'm always instantly expected to state my exact wage, and then my exact expected wage on my next job - even though I can't be exact as it depends on so many other things, commuting distance, hours, perks, etc, etc.

Yet it was only last month I went for an interview for a position with an undisclosed salary, and upon attending the interview found out it was less than I was on already - that was a whole days holiday wasted... :rolleyes:

You should never allow them to submit your CV without telling you who the company is, to avoid exactly this problem. Likewise for anything else like salary or rate. Just refuse to play if they can't give you the basics you need.

---------- Post added 25-05-2016 at 08:05 ----------

Thats due to the fee they receive for every applicant that is interviewed. I have been asked numerous times to "Just interview for a position and then make up your mind" I have already turned down. I know why and I refuse to play ball.

What industry is it that pays for candidates to be interviewed? The IT industry certainly only pays for people placed. And in the case of permies often only if they stay for a minimum time (6 months is common).

---------- Post added 25-05-2016 at 08:07 ----------

When my relative was working through British agencies, he had to pay the agency to pay his wages every month. It was something to do with 'umbrella Companies.' I think it was about 25 quid.

What's that all about?

It's an alternative to incorporating your own company, the fee covers all the administration costs of running a proper company. Accounting, books, invoicing, insurance, legal compliance, dividends, etc...

they don't receive a fee for every candidate interviewed, but they are expected to field a decent line up for interview and then take a commission based on a %age of starting salary. So you were being fielded to make a decent line up

Yes they do! I know, I agreed the people for interview and signed off the payment to the agencies when I was doing the hiring in my department not so long ago.

---------- Post added 25-05-2016 at 10:44 ----------

What industry is it that pays for candidates to be interviewed? The IT industry certainly only pays for people placed. And in the case of permies often only if they stay for a minimum time (6 months is common).[.

Wrong. I work in IT and have gone through this process. I also worked in other sectors (in IT) and have first hand experience of the introduction fees paid out to agencies who put forward prospective employees.

You are wrong if you think, just because you have not experienced it it does not exist.

Edited by Berberis

Anna B, in the UK some temporary roles are offered only small limited companies, to avoid to the possibility of the employee gaining certain employment rights. Where a person does not run their own company and does not want the expense of setting up and running a limited company, they can take these jobs through an umbrella company. The umbrella company charges their employees fees for the services the umbrella companies supply. These costs are usually lower than the cost of running your own company.

He's a jobbing, fully qualified electrician. He just wants to work.

If he could get a full time permanent position, he would be delighted, but it seems all the jobs these days are contract work that go through employment agencies such as these.

It seems like just another con to fleece the ordinary working man.

Yes they do! I know, I agreed the people for interview and signed off the payment to the agencies when I was doing the hiring in my department not so long ago.

fair play, I am happy to learn something new, I take no shame in that

You are wrong if you think, just because you have not experienced it it does not exist.

no need to put that sentence in, it doesn't come over nicely. Be happy you've taught someone something.

---------- Post added 25-05-2016 at 10:44 ----------

Wrong. I work in IT and have gone through this process. I also worked in other sectors (in IT) and have first hand experience of the introduction fees paid out to agencies who put forward prospective employees.

Perhaps you were just being taken for a ride.