Looking for a job an employers market?

As an employer, I find it very difficult to recruit staff. I find it very easy to keep them, once they have started.

I don't use agencies because I've used several, and each time the staff I've employed because of the lack of choice offered, haven't stayed for long. Usually they have been hopeless or they just haven't got a work ethic.

I use indeed and jobcentre (or whatever it's called this week). But I get limited applications from GOOD candidates.

With regard to feedback, I simply haven't got time. Or the inclination. Why should I? Why should I tell someone how bad they are or why they're bad and risk a lawsuit?

I had one lady apply for a job (she didn't seem right for that job) I told her no, but in the back of my mind thought she'd be perfect for another job that would probably be coming up. She demanded feedback from me, I was v busy and gave her none, she argued and argued and demanded.

When the job came up that I initially thought she'd be perfect for, she was last on my list because of her attitude.

Employers are there to employ people to get a job done for them and to earn money. Not to run around nannying people. Of course they should be courteous though.

I'm a firm believer in giving feedback to anyone (turned down) who requests it. It's rude not to.

I didn't like the way you looked. It wouldn't have given the right image to our clients and you refused to wear heels.

I'll await the law suit or at least bad press on social media.

I didn't like the way you looked. It wouldn't have given the right image to our clients and you refused to wear heels.

Haha! I'd be a bit more tactful than your examples.

References...i get them normally with a long list of questions from other companies. However, it's company policy to send our own reply letter which will only confirm the person they're enquiring about was, or is presently employed by us. Keeps the lawyers off our back.:D

Honestly, if you (try to) dictate how women dress, you deserve it.

However, not the right level of experience, some questions answered incorrectly, not the set of skills we were looking for, they're all perfectly valid feedback and you won't be sued.

Honestly, if you (try to) dictate how women dress, you deserve it.

However, not the right level of experience, some questions answered incorrectly, not the set of skills we were looking for, they're all perfectly valid feedback and you won't be sued.

And yet pointless to the candidate. You can't tell the truth, you will be sued.

I demand a smart level of dress for all my employees in the right situation - front of house- and to some extent do "dictate" when someone is not up to scratch.

When I have given feedback, before I learnt not to, answers like yours, demanded more questions and more answers and a complete waste of time for me. And a potential lawsuit. Even if I won the lawsuit/tribunal it would still cost me time and money. I just say no.

When I'm asked to do a reference, I try to write it by damning with feint praise, but will only do one if absolutely pushed.

I had one person steal from the petty cash, she was found out and thankfully was so embarassed she left. I then got asked for a reference by her next potential employer - I was given as the referee- I refused to give one. Can you imagine me telling the truth, without evidence? Lawsuit galore, and I'd have probably lost, short of asking my staff to back me u and having me in a precarious position.

Employing people is a NIGHTMARE.

A couple of days ago I drove for three hours to get to an interview in Redditch. The job is in South Yorkshire, and half of the interviewers had also driven down from Yorkshire. It's for a six-month job from June to September....

I demand a smart level of dress for all my employees in the right situation - front of house- and to some extent do "dictate" when someone is not up to scratch.

When I have given feedback, before I learnt not to, answers like yours, demanded more questions and more answers and a complete waste of time for me. And a potential lawsuit. Even if I won the lawsuit/tribunal it would still cost me time and money. I just say no.

When I'm asked to do a reference, I try to write it by damning with feint praise, but will only do one if absolutely pushed.

I had one person steal from the petty cash, she was found out and thankfully was so embarassed she left. I then got asked for a reference by her next potential employer - I was given as the referee- I refused to give one. Can you imagine me telling the truth, without evidence? Lawsuit galore, and I'd have probably lost, short of asking my staff to back me u and having me in a precarious position.

A dress code is fine, demanding high heels is not (that's been made clear recently in the news hasn't it).

There's an easy answer to demands for more feedback after an initial, perfectly reasonable response, which is to completely ignore them.

References are fraught, but perhaps the solution is to discipline someone when they are caught stealing, and if they then leave you can honestly reply that they have a verbal warning on their file which was given shortly before they left.

In customer facing roles it's acceptable to demand an appropriate level of dress.In the case of the high heels receptionist she was arguing it's impractical to wear high heels for that particular role.

My only concern is men have always been asked to wear suit and ties so her argument that men are not asked to wear high heels doesn't hold much water.

---------- Post added 27-05-2016 at 07:33 ----------

As an employer, I find it very difficult to recruit staff. I find it very easy to keep them, once they have started.

I don't use agencies because I've used several, and each time the staff I've employed because of the lack of choice offered, haven't stayed for long. Usually they have been hopeless or they just haven't got a work ethic.

I use indeed and jobcentre (or whatever it's called this week). But I get limited applications from GOOD candidates.

With regard to feedback, I simply haven't got time. Or the inclination. Why should I? Why should I tell someone how bad they are or why they're bad and risk a lawsuit?

I had one lady apply for a job (she didn't seem right for that job) I told her no, but in the back of my mind thought she'd be perfect for another job that would probably be coming up. She demanded feedback from me, I was v busy and gave her none, she argued and argued and demanded.

When the job came up that I initially thought she'd be perfect for, she was last on my list because of her attitude.

Employers are there to employ people to get a job done for them and to earn money. Not to run around nannying people. Of course they should be courteous though.

Agree with all of this. It's not ideal for the candidate not to receive feedback. However that is part of the game & it's best for the job seeker to keep a level of courtesy and professionalism with all potential employers.

She was arguing that demanding high heels of a woman is more specific than asking for appropriate business smart dress. And she won her point.

Business smart is fine, that applies to men and women. High heels is fine, if you require men and women to wear them, gender specific rules, not okay.