Would you credit it?

Perhaps it's google. Except that makes them a car company then...

Precisely.

Also shows the lack of thought thats gone into it, because obviously some kickstarter startup is going to roll along and suddenly be able to produce millions of vehicles overnight, because major car manufacturers will all go bust???

I don't even want my own driverless car. I'm perfectly happy to order 1 by smartphone as I get my coat and then order another back again when I'm done in the supermarket. So long as the cost model works out cheaper that way than owning one.

I'll probably still have a weekend/trackday car though.

I don't even want my own driverless car. I'm perfectly happy to order 1 by smartphone as I get my coat and then order another back again when I'm done in the supermarket. So long as the cost model works out cheaper that way than owning one.

I'll probably still have a weekend/trackday car though.

I would, I'd use it all the time, for all the stuff it wasn't designed for:

Have it drive me to/from work while I sleep in the back

Have it drive me to work while I do paperwork/play games in the back

Have it pick me up from the pub after I've had a skinfull

Have it drive me through McDonalds at 3am after said skinfull

Have it collect my takeaway from the chippy while I sit in drinking beer

Have it drive the kids to school

Yes you may laugh, and they may try and legislate against it.

I guarantee that when they become mass market and widely available the general public will attempt every single one, and more of the things off that list.

I guarantee that when they become mass market and widely available the general public will attempt every single one, and more of the things off that list.

And how long would it take legislators to catch up? "I'm arresting you for drunk driving sir" "why, I'm not driving?!?!"

But as you could do more in a vehicle you aren't driving, wouldn't that mean there might be more cars on the road as result?

But as you could do more in a vehicle you aren't driving

Thats half the problem though, if 'people' aren't driving then left to their own devices they will find something else to occupy themselves.

There's no point telling them to 'monitor' the controls, because after 5 minutes of doing nothing they'll get bored and play candy crush or something.

So it either needs to be fully autonomous and no need for human input, or nothing.

wouldn't that mean there might be more cars on the road as result?

Why???

are there loads of people who's sole reason for taking the bus is so they can watch Eastenders on the way to work??

I could do all those things with a car that I didn't own, but ordered up with my phone a few minutes before I needed it.

The usage model should work out cheaper than owning it, particularly given that both our cars sit at home for at least 4 days a week whilst I go to work on a bike and my OH goes on the train...

Pay by the mile or something, where the cost of 10k/annum is the equivalent of owning, insuring, taxing, fuelling and servicing a mid range car. (Or perhaps even an equivalent car, sometimes I might want a big merc, othertimes a supermini will do the job, i don't mind paying a different rate for them).

---------- Post added 26-05-2016 at 14:17 ----------

And how long would it take legislators to catch up? "I'm arresting you for drunk driving sir" "why, I'm not driving?!?!"

But as you could do more in a vehicle you aren't driving, wouldn't that mean there might be more cars on the road as result?

They'd be driven more efficiently, they wouldn't need somewhere to park, there would be less accidents, and who cares how long the commute is, if you're going back to sleep whilst it's happening!

---------- Post added 26-05-2016 at 14:19 ----------

A model similar to the city car thing.

https://www.enterprisecarclub.co.uk/about/city-car-club-is-now-enterprise-car-club/

But instead of needing to find out where the nearest one is parked and only being able to return it to certain places, it just drives to your house (much like a taxi) and then drives you to your destination (much like a taxi). But since there are no wages to pay and family to support it should work out very much cheaper (like the car club).

I'd expect the costs to be similar to these I suppose, although if they scaled then the costs might drop a little.

http://www.nextgreencar.com/car-clubs/

Edited by Cyclone

Education: The cheapest smartphones are already at 10$ in Africa and Asia. By 2020, 70% of all humans will own a smartphone. That means everyone has the same access to world class education. Every child can use Khan academy for everything a child learns at school in First World countries. We have already released our software in Indonesia and will release it in Arabic, Suaheli and Chinese this Summer, because I see an enormous potential. We will give the English app for free, so that children in Africa can become fluent in English within half a year.
claptrap!

So a smartfone can teach behaviour, conformity, social skills?

It also relies on the person being self-driven and deciding that they want to learn.

The only similarity is that it can show facts.... and a good education is much more than facts