Go and take a backup

None of which means you shouldn't take a real backup, which you do.

My only point was that a cloud sync is NOT a backup, although the overlap is large.

Cloud sync is a backup as its another copy of the data. Your backups can also become infected or can contain the actual virus that affects you at a later point.

But if people want a good backup sync that allows you to step through the files by date, https://www.jungledisk.com/ is very good.

Professionally you're wrong, although the difference is small.

Syncing process makes sure that your content (files and data) is the same on your iPhone iPad or iPod touch and computer. However, back up refers to, one way, copying of most data from one location to another. You may use iCloud and iTunes and you can back up most data on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.17 Jun 2013

iOS: Difference between sync and backup? - Apple Toolbox

appletoolbox.com/2013/06/ios-difference-between-sync-and-backup/

thousands of hits to explain the difference here

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=the+difference+between+sync+and+backup&oq=the+difference+between+sync+and+&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0l5.5438j0j9&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Professionally you're wrong, although the difference is small.

No im not but I have no interest in getting into yet another discussion with you as you are always right no matter what.

A backup is a copy of a file or other item of data made in case the original is lost or damaged. If I lose my laptop or phone, I have a backup in the form of the last sync.

I wont be responding to any more of your posts on SF as you are a troll.

Fine. Google, and apple, and all the computer professionals are wrong. You've redefined what a backup is, and you must be correct, sure.

Yes, I'm a troll. Because I started a thread telling people to backup and pointed out to you that sync is not a backup. A fact well understood by IT professionals, but it's trolling whenever someone corrects you. Whatever.

No im not but I have no interest in getting into yet another discussion with you as you are always right no matter what.

A backup is a copy of a file or other item of data made in case the original is lost or damaged. If I lose my laptop or phone, I have a backup in the form of the last sync.

I wont be responding to any more of your posts on SF as you are a troll.

At the risk of fanning the flames that's not what the generally considered explanation of a backup is. If it can be continuously modified as a sync is then it fails because it's not a copy at a specific point in time, and it is capable of being subjected to further modification.

At the risk of fanning the flames that's not what the generally considered explanation of a backup is. If it can be continuously modified as a sync is then it fails because it's not a copy at a specific point in time, and it is capable of being subjected to further modification.

I have to agree.

I use a lot of disk mirroring, but I don't consider the mirror to be a "backup" as it does not provide the facility to restore to a previous point in time.

A "sync" is I suppose a backup in the broadest possible sense and will in some cases cover you against the same things; but it's far to easy to have a problem which affects both, which is unlikely in the case of a proper backup.

Precisely. If I take a backup, be that with software designed for the task or me just copying the disk onto another one, then it's not possible for that backup to change or be overwritten in the normal course of using the system.

So if some cryptoware comes along, or I accidentally delete a database table etc the change doesn't then replicate to the backups. If you make a sync then these changes can and do replicate, as uses of cloud "backup" solutions have found before now.

Ultimately there are two sorts of computer users. Ones who make backups and ones who lose data.

A backup is only as good as you make it. Cyclone was describing an issue of the loss of hardware. So, if you have your phone or laptop synced via iCloud and you lose the hardware, is the data backed up? The answer is yes. There is no perfect solution and in the same way anyone could point out how Device X is better then Device Y, the same can be said for backups. I have seen many instances of backups actually being infected with the same virus that has triggered on a PC/Server. To think that just because you backed up yesterday somehow means you are impervious to any data loss is really not understanding how data loss actually happens. Or how malware/viruses/cryptolockers work.

The link I have provided is a combination of backup and sync which covers both camps. Your files are synced like Onedrive but you are able to retrieve files from previous days/weeks/months if you have the space. Its worth using if you have a PC.

The area of backups/security is very subjective and personally I don't wish to get into a conversation with Cyclone where he is always right.

I described you getting a virus that encrypts your files as a reason to not rely on a sync as a backup.

Take a proper backup, and use a sync as well.

The advantage of actually being right, is that I'm right. It's not always the case, but mostly it is.

A backup is only as good as you make it. Cyclone was describing an issue of the loss of hardware. So, if you have your phone or laptop synced via iCloud and you lose the hardware, is the data backed up? The answer is yes. There is no perfect solution and in the same way anyone could point out how Device X is better then Device Y, the same can be said for backups. I have seen many instances of backups actually being infected with the same virus that has triggered on a PC/Server. To think that just because you backed up yesterday somehow means you are impervious to any data loss is really not understanding how data loss actually happens. Or how malware/viruses/cryptolockers work.

The link I have provided is a combination of backup and sync which covers both camps. Your files are synced like Onedrive but you are able to retrieve files from previous days/weeks/months if you have the space. Its worth using if you have a PC.

The area of backups/security is very subjective and personally I don't wish to get into a conversation with Cyclone where he is always right.

That's fine. You are wrong but I don't want to get into a conversation with someone who whines when they are wrong and then calls people names to make themselves feel better.