Expats - What do you miss about Sheffield?

docmel

I remember hash as left over potato and veges all fried up.

my daughter goes guk too.

i miss sheffield fish cakes.and mushy peas.

in australia now and have to put up with tinned peas yuk"

We used to call fried up veggies and potatoes "Bubble & Squeak". Usually use up our left over Christmas spuds and veggies that way. Still love it.

And we have a chippie here in London, Ontario which sell mushy peas with the fish and chips! Mmmmmm!

Hi Docmel,

I was always told a stew was cooked in the oven and hash was cooked on the top of the cooker thatsthe only difference I know

I remember Hash being cooked on the stove but it was always meat left over from the Sunday Roast. I always picked out the meat and stuck it on my dad's plate - always thought it tasted like wet string but my mam said I'd never eaten wet string! Good dollop of Hendersons always made the rest of it taste good though!

docmel

i miss sheffield fish cakes.and mushy peas.

in australia now and have to put up with tinned peas yuk"

Why not do like we do, buy McKenzie's Dried peas, and use the bi-carb! De-bloody-licious!! You can get them in Qld; we do!

We would have 'ash and dumplings on Ash Wednesday as well. Now I call it "stew" and dumplings.

Stew or Hash is done on the top of the stove and it's a casserole that is done in the oven.

Joanl

what do you miss about sheffield,you probably now live in much warmer country than England but what makes you home sick?

Family

Sheff Utd home or away

Pubs

Having a pint or 10 with Kirky ( that was fun :hihi: )

Be back over soon enuff m8

Regards CB

UTB

Miss trips into Derbyshire, the peaks etc. it's flat as a pancake here. Miss Bramall Lane although don't know whether I could afford to attend now. I miss the old "rag and tag" and walking down the Moor. There used to be a pub just off there that sold liver sandwiches, delicious. Can't remember the pub's name now.

Archived