Expats - What do you miss about Sheffield?

Lots of people seem to miss fishcakes. In Lincoln you can actually get them (and they're almost as good) but they call them fritters. They also have "fishcakes", but they are what Sheffield folk call rissoles. Funny lot in Lincoln... The best fishcakes were from Gordon Booth's chip shop in Taplin Road, with little bits of parsley in with the fish.

Toasted tea cakes, picklets by the fire, sledging in winter, pub crawls round Bakewell on market day starting at 6am.

The Pheonix pub on white lane, weekly swims at pond street baths ............. oh childhood memories, but after leaving now for 22 years and only visiting once since ..... so I guess I don't miss anything that much ....mum stills sends out the HP fruity and the farleys rusks, sadly great fish and chips don't travel well .....but me kiwi wify does best she can :hihi:

Swimming with the dead dogs &cats in the Don,O plus all the p.c.bs fm the steel mills (made my hair fall out at 70) the wet ,dirt and cold chilblane's ,headlice &allthat purple stuff dabbed over your face ,So what do i miss about Sheffield ?not a lot,came for a few visits 47-48 but never been back since

It's quite obvious from your post that you've not been to Sheffield in a long time. You state that you don't miss Sheffield yet you look at SF and take the time to post..... interesting !

Well Daven, when one lives so far away and you have a New Zealand wife and you are explaining what Sheffield was/is like what better way do you know of than the internet, so I stumbled across SF quite by chance.

I have receive so great info from a gentleman in Sheffield, following one posting....

I am also looking via this medium to see whether I can expand my interbet based business in to England and Sheffield.... A way to increase our income by helping people preserve their precious memories on line forever gauranteed. But thanks for your posting :)

Archived