300,000+ migrants..what the..

The fact that this debate, as always, veers towards employment is indicative of how little people understand the benefits of migration and are keen to point out the flaws of it.

Record levels of migration for years, unemployment dropping all the time none-the-less. Weird that huh...

And if it affected Sheffield so badly, surely houseprices would be soaring up? Don't see much evidence of that either.

But zero hours contracts and part time work rising, 8.35 million people working part-time or on zero hours contracts, the problem isn't just unemployment, underemployment is a larger problem.

The fact that this debate, as always, veers towards employment is indicative of how little people understand the benefits of migration and are keen to point out the flaws of it.

Record levels of migration for years, unemployment dropping all the time none-the-less. Weird that huh...

And if it affected Sheffield so badly, surely houseprices would be soaring up? Don't see much evidence of that either.

House prices are going up here.

As the migration issue is pushed further north or southern Brits are priced out move north we will see house prices soar at London levels.

---------- Post added 27-05-2016 at 07:40 ----------

Houses have gone up around 30% on my street in the last 3 or 4 years.

---------- Post added 27-05-2016 at 07:41 ----------

http://www.sheffieldtelegraph.co.uk/news/business/boom-on-the-cards-as-sheffield-house-prices-rise-1-7430978

Edited by Tomjames

Just read the latest immigration figures released....

It's ridiculous, that's 300,000 people we've had to find shelter for!!

I've never been racist in my life....ever! But I too am beginning to truly despise these migrant workers. The influx is just relentless!

Do we have to provide "shelter" migrant workers? Don't they find their own accommodation if they're working here?

You may have googled their names, but that does not remove the fact you jumped to conclusions. In this country someone is innocent until proven guilty which includes non UK passport holders.

On the subject of crime, then foreigners are a big problem for the UK justice system. Non UK passport holders make up about 13% of our prison population with Poland accounting for the most. More immigration will lead to our overstretched prison system becoming even more overstretched.

Jumped to conclusions about what? You being a bigot? You haven't convinced me I'm wrong yet...

---------- Post added 27-05-2016 at 11:25 ----------

You have job security after 2 years constant employment. Up until then, you can be made redundant without much effort by your employer.

I know that. Fortunately I am a skilled worker so the notion that my employer would recycle positions every two years with cheaper labour would be wrong. The business would be dead already. It takes more than two years to train someone up to a reasonable minimum standard.

---------- Post added 27-05-2016 at 11:34 ----------

When there is an abundance of people seeking work employers can get away with zero hours contracts, low wages, poor workers rights, only offering part time work, and being in the EU means there is an abundance of people seeking work.

Like I say, zero hours contract means nothing to me. But Anna B said almost exactly the same thing as Caroline Lucas wrote in the Indy. Caroline Lucas is no friend of the zero hours contract but does want us to remain in the EU and does think they provide us with workers rights. That was my point.

The EU means there's an abundance of people seeking work you say? It's nice to not hear the same old chestnut that they are all here to claim benefits. :)

But zero hours contracts and part time work rising, 8.35 million people working part-time or on zero hours contracts, the problem isn't just unemployment, underemployment is a larger problem.
I can only rely on 1st-hand experience for now, but both of our part-timers are so as a lifestyle choice, not through efficiency or cost-saving measures. We'd love to give them more hours, they just don't want them.

So I'd be interested in studies and statistics about how many of these 8.35 millions employees are on part-time or ZHC as a personal choice, for contrast, rather than assume it's all down to underemployment.

Until it truly hits the north of England we are set away from the problem.

The South East and London are dealing with it now.

London and the south-east are dealing with it and, in a lot of instances, are sending people north, where there are cheaper rents, but fewer jobs. I don't see much evidence of places like Witney, where the PM constituency is, taking many in due to the high cost of housing.

I can only rely on 1st-hand experience for now, but both of our part-timers are so as a lifestyle choice, not through efficiency or cost-saving measures. We'd love to give them more hours, they just don't want them.

So I'd be interested in studies and statistics about how many of these 8.35 millions employees are on part-time or ZHC as a personal choice, for contrast, rather than assume it's all down to underemployment.

About 3 million of them want more work, the rest are either happy with the hours they do and don't claim in work benefits or they don't want more work because it will affect their in work benefits. If a part time worker claims in work benefits they are underemployed.

I wasn't made redundant. Unless you are talking as recent as less than a few weeks, I'm not naive.

'A proper permanent job is becoming a thing of the past' is a claim very similar to one made by Caroline Lucas (see the article below). I have no experience with zero hours contracts but Ms Lucas was on Question Time this evening stating the EU was good for protecting workers rights. Any erosion of those rights is not due to the EU and she went so far as to say she was concerned Brexit could lead to further erosion of those rights.

https://eastern.greenparty.org.uk/news.html/2016/02/02/green-party-mp,-caroline-lucas-outlines-the-reasons-for-a-basic-citizens-income/

The protection of worker's rights (and Human rights) is is the only argument I've heard that would persuade me to stay in the EU. I find it quite shocking that we can't trust our own politicians to protect ordinary workers in our own country.

The protection of worker's rights (and Human rights) is is the only argument I've heard that would persuade me to stay in the EU. I find it quite shocking that we can't trust our own politicians to protect ordinary workers in our own country.

The fact that you don't trust them doesn't mean they can't be trusted.

what right do you think will be scrapped if we leave the EU?

Fair enough. Wasn't the best Question Time I've ever seen. David Cameron's version of Alistair Campbell was particularly irritating as was the writer who couldn't remember which Miliband was on the panel. I thought Ed came across quite well. David Davies, who grew up in a council estate as he likes to remind us, didn't really do a good job. Saying 'we will be like Great Britain!' obviously appealed to some in the audience. But not those capable of rational thought thinking, that's not really an answer chief!