Staff free meals

I work in school kitchen and have for the last 13 years over all that time we have been allowed a free lunch. Well now we are being told we can no longer have one. So I'm wondering if there are any other dinner staff on here who get free meals. We have been told We are the only school that give free food.

Cuts. Hard times.

I went to a private eating establishment recently that used to provide some food for the staff - not a school.

They now display a sign in the kitchen area - "You don't work for free so you don't eat for free".

It is amazing how so many alleged improvements to our lives often suggested with the best of intentions has a negative impact on it.

I know of one or two in the support industry for schools and care homes who are suddenly having overtime and hours cut back to the contractual limit since the increase in minimum wages/living wages etc. They aren't earning any less in some cases but they now get an extra day to spend it .

Not schools but I see cafe nero staff are complaining about having there free Panini taken away since living wage came in.

My wife worked for 25yrs as a school meals supervisor for Rotherham Council, a free meal was part of her contract of employment but for any new starter the free meal was not part of their contract. Contact your union and see what they have to say about it.

It's why its called 'WORK' and not 'enjoyment'.

Pernicious employers doing their employees no favours, showing little consideration and certainly no kindness. It is employment that resembles a dislike, mistrust and contempt for staff.

But these are the times we live in when fat cats take disproportionate salaries many times greater than those who do the work. This attitude filters throughout management and this is the result. Not a living wage but a minimum wage.

'Perk' for the boss and 'work' for the workers. The sackable, replaceable, contemptable workers should they strike or complain or in this case, eat.

If you voted Tory then don't complain.

Yes not giving a dinner lady free food is a bit stingy. How much does that stuff cost per portion anyway? 20p?

As others have said speak to the Union and/or CAB.

If a free meal has been provided for so long then it can't be just taken away like that.

Just because management are ignorant of the law doesn't mean you need to be!!!

Is free food now now considered a perk and subject to tax?

I used to work for a well known fast food outlet back in my student days and we had a set amount we could spend on food for free, but this was a long time ago.

---------- Post added 27-05-2016 at 11:38 ----------

As others have said speak to the Union and/or CAB.

If a free meal has been provided for so long then it can't be just taken away like that.

Just because management are ignorant of the law doesn't mean you need to be!!!

You may find that if it's not in the contract, its subject to change.

You may find that if it's not in the contract, its subject to change.

but if it has been common practise for a great length of time then simply setting a new rule might not be so easy for the employer (if the staff/union were to challenge it) .

As said, speak to the Union or CAB.