Government want to 'Reclaim the Internet.'

I guess it goes back to what the internet was invented for.

The US army?

---------- Post added 27-05-2016 at 13:10 ----------

Restrictions are one thing. Downright propaganda and lies is quite another. It's only an unfettered internet that is able to expose these lies.

The internet is full of lies!

Edited by Shef1985

You mean the World Wide Web.

Berners Lee

---------- Post added 27-05-2016 at 12:16 ----------

"The web evolved into a powerful, ubiquitous tool because it was built on egalitarian principles and because thousands of individuals, universities and companies have worked, both independently and together as part of the World Wide Web Consortium [established by Berners-Lee so that stakeholders could work together in open groups to build a better web than any company could build by itself], to expand its capabilities based on those principles."

Tim Berners-Lee

Berners Lee

That's the chap. Going on the OP I'd be interested to know if the government think tanks know the distinction. The www is a small part of the internet. The wider internet is where you find a significant amount of illegal activity which I listed before.

I do not think they know the meaning and differences of the internet, www, dark web and dark net and all the measures they come up with to protect children blah blah only relate to the www and fail to tackle the larger problem.

Unless it is really all about trolling!

Berners Lee

---------- Post added 27-05-2016 at 12:16 ----------

"The web evolved into a powerful, ubiquitous tool because it was built on egalitarian principles and because thousands of individuals, universities and companies have worked, both independently and together as part of the World Wide Web Consortium [established by Berners-Lee so that stakeholders could work together in open groups to build a better web than any company could build by itself], to expand its capabilities based on those principles."

Tim Berners-Lee

My bold.

That's all well and good but the fact is that you can really only access the internet legitimately through corporate made devices and service providers all of which are becoming more accountable for their devices facilitating the internets misuse, with paedophilia, terrorist activity and general online crime.

The EU is planning to give Europe’s police intelligence agency, Europol, new powers to become a European internet watchdog and censor.

The European Cybercrime Centre (EC3) commenced its activities in January 2013.

https://www.europol.europa.eu/ec3/cyber-operations

I said "The EU have always been far keener on protecting individuals privacy than our governments have been." Not "The EU intend to do nothing about crimes committed on the internet."

Your link doesn't contradict what I said.

I said "The EU have always been far keener on protecting individuals privacy than our governments have been." Not "The EU intend to do nothing about crimes committed on the internet."

Your link doesn't contradict what I said.

So what do you think our government wants to do that the EU won't do?

My bold.

That's all well and good but the fact is that you can really only access the internet legitimately through corporate made devices and service providers all of which are becoming more accountable for their devices facilitating the internets misuse, with paedophilia, terrorist activity and general online crime.

So that means the government spying on your emails & activity.

That's not a good thing by the way.