Tenants have an 'access' problem!

And as I've previously said B) would need to be tested in court, it's a badly written law, do you disagree with that?

The law doesn't actually say anything about "justifying" the fear, hence why I think it's badly written.

The idea that someones feelings determine reality is ludicrous.

And I will continue to be unable to answer your question. Children have many fears, some are rational many are not, it's even entirely possible that a child wouldn't feel any fear when they should. I don't see what point you are trying to make.

Children should of course be protected by their parents, the law cannot stop a dog from hurting them.

And as I've previously said B) would need to be tested in court, it's a badly written law, do you disagree with that?

The law doesn't actually say anything about "justifying" the fear, hence why I think it's badly written.

The idea that someones feelings determine reality is ludicrous.

And I will continue to be unable to answer your question. Children have many fears, some are rational many are not, it's even entirely possible that a child wouldn't feel any fear when they should. I don't see what point you are trying to make.

Children should of course be protected by their parents, the law cannot stop a dog from hurting them.

The point I'm trying to make is based your argument that there was an irational fear of the dog loose in the by the tenants and the children by association in the OP.

You noted that you'd have a rational fear of the dog only if it was showing outward signs of aggression.

So, I asked you at what point do you think the child would have a rational fear of the dog?

For example, would it be rational for the child to fear a massive dog that jumps around?

Cyclone is correct, the basic definition from the Government website is not really very helpful.

A fear of any Dog is something I personally consider completely rational, it is an animal with potentially dangerous speed and strength and is equipped with sharp teeth. Given the occasional reporting of attacks by dogs and the tendency for the owners to proclaim that they would have never thought their dog would do such a thing I think a wariness of Dogs is perfectly understandable. I was attacked as a small child and while several decades later I do quite like most dogs I am wary of them in certain circumstances that many people would consider silly.

Some clarification from a document from the Kennel club which would seem to put the question of the dogs control beyond reasonable doubt in this particular situation given what we have been told, -

https://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/media/8277/law.pdf

"Dangerous Dogs Act 1991 (section 3)

It is a criminal offence (for the owner and/or the person in charge of the dog) to allow a dog to be ‘dangerously out of control’ in a public place, a place where it is not permitted to be, and some other areas. A ‘dangerously out of control’ dog can be defined as a dog that has injured someone

or a dog that a person has grounds for reasonable apprehension that it may do so. Something as simple as your dog chasing, barking at or jumping up at a person or child could lead to a complaint,

so ensure that your dog is under control at all times."

On the issue of public place, a public place can be defined as somewhere the public has access to. It doesn't really matter, as the Act in question relates to controlling a dog even in the owners own home.

Glad to see a good result, hope the tenants can get to know the dog and take joy in its friendly (if overbearing) demeanour. Isn't playing with animals supposed to be good for your health or something?

Well FORTUNATELY there has been no need to throw 'Dangerous Dog Acts' at anyone and it has all (hopefully) been sorted by me using my wonderful personality and winning charms :P

I'm just typing up an 'official' letter to my tenants to update them of developments.. I have also tried phoning but no answer so left a voicemail x

Well FORTUNATELY there has been no need to throw 'Dangerous Dog Acts' at anyone and it has all (hopefully) been sorted by me using my wonderful personality and winning charms :P

I'm just typing up an 'official' letter to my tenants to update them of developments.. I have also tried phoning but no answer so left a voicemail x

They've probably been eaten by next doors dog.

The point I'm trying to make is based your argument that there was an irational fear of the dog loose in the by the tenants and the children by association in the OP.

You noted that you'd have a rational fear of the dog only if it was showing outward signs of aggression.

So, I asked you at what point do you think the child would have a rational fear of the dog?

For example, would it be rational for the child to fear a massive dog that jumps around?

You're asking me to answer an impossible question.

Repeating it over and over won't alter that.

Got a phone call this morning off of one of my tenants, sounding quite harressed!

The next door neighbour has a japenese Akita! it's a massive dog.. I have actually met it and she's very lovely but can jump up and get overly giddy!

Anyway, apparently my tenants can't get out of the back gate (seperate gardens but with shared access to the end gate to get onto the road) because this dog is stopping them!! Apparently she is pearing over the fence at them and is ALWAYS in the garden! My tenants are a married couple with two young children and not what you call dog people..

They can get out using the front door but the issue is that they park on the side road and he feels he shouldn't have to walk all the way round, especially if he has shopping bags etc as it states the access is shared on the back entrance..

I told him to leave it with me and i'll speak with the neighbours but seriously!! what the hell am i suppose to say to them??

Am i supposed to tel them to not allow their dog on their garden?

Its a tricky one and any suggestions would be welcome x

If I was your tenant I would work with the neighbour to get to know the dog, so it didn't bark at me.

You're asking me to answer an impossible question.

Repeating it over and over won't alter that.

I'm asking for your opinion.

Personally I think it is rational that a child would fear a massive dog that jumps around.

What about you?

Personally I think it would entirely dependant on the circumstances, hence why I say the question is impossible.

Of course the children should not be in that private garden alone though...

That's odd, you were quick enough to say that their fear of the dog was irrational.

What's changed?