Tenants have an 'access' problem!

So you say "treat people as you would want to be treated" and then call me a "dimwit".

I own four properties that I rent out, one in Dore, another in Totley and two in crosspool. I doubt your tenant pay you what I would consider to be "good money".

Your tenants are adults and if they have a problem with a bloody dog.

That sentence is unfinished I think.

Could you or them just explain to the neighbor with the dog that they are a bit nervous of the dog? and then perhaps attach a loud bell to the gate so that the people can just ring it and then they can come out and hold the dog or take it inside, there is always a simple way around things and better than getting all "legal" about it.

Could you or them just explain to the neighbor with the dog that they are a bit nervous of the dog? and then perhaps attach a loud bell to the gate so that the people can just ring it and then they can come out and hold the dog or take it inside, there is always a simple way around things and better than getting all "legal" about it.

I did actually think about a bell believe it or not but then shrugged it off as though i was just mad!! haha nice to see someone else has the same idea :hihi:

---------- Post added 27-05-2016 at 14:26 ----------

You can't get all legal about it though really?

Not without any proof the dog presents a threat in the first place.

I dont want to!

No it doesnt mention anything apart from reporting anti-social behaviour, victimisation and that sort of thing.. The shared access is mentioned though..

My concern too is, it's alright me going next door and putting their noses out of joint then the relationship be strained between the two neighbours / me and then to find myself with brand new tenants at some point further down the line and then they get same treatment... Uuurggghhhh

This is true. It makes your job so much easier if neighbours will just bloody speak to each other.

Do you own the freehold? If not, then pass the access issue on to the freeholder as you are only acting as their agent when it comes to the land, afaik.

If you do, then can you not suggest to the dog owner that they fence off their garden to allow the dog to roam freely without putting your tenants at risk?

As an ex-postman I can sympathise with your tenants, on many occasions when delivering to properties such as these I was faced with what was termed a friendly dog only to have them attempt to attack or bite me.

Your tenants are entitled to free access to the shared area and should not have to have worry about whether or not the dog is friendly.

Do you own the freehold? If not, then pass the access issue on to the freeholder as you are only acting as their agent when it comes to the land, afaik.

If you do, then can you not suggest to the dog owner that they fence off their garden to allow the dog to roam freely without putting your tenants at risk?

As an ex-postman I can sympathise with your tenants, on many occasions when delivering to properties such as these I was faced with what was termed a friendly dog only to have them attempt to attack or bite me.

Your tenants are entitled to free access to the shared area and should not have to have worry about whether or not the dog is friendly.

Yes i own the freehold and i also own the freehold on the end terrace as well, the house with the dog is the one inbetween my property and the end terrace.. I'm not sure if they own the freehold for their property though??

Ha. I can't see that going anywhere at all.

Right of access comes with the property anyway, and chelle owns the property.

They aren't at any risk, and it is the tenants who are passing through the neighbours garden, which is already fenced off.

They are allowed a right of access, they don't have "free access" and it isn't a "shared area", it is the neighbours garden.

Ha. I can't see that going anywhere at all.

Right of access comes with the property anyway, and chelle owns the property.

They aren't at any risk, and it is the tenants who are passing through the neighbours garden, which is already fenced off.

They are allowed a right of access, they don't have "free access" and it isn't a "shared area", it is the neighbours garden.

Cyclone, why do you constantly have to be so pedantic?

The tenants have access across the property, whether it's free or a simple right is immaterial.

They feel threatened by a dog and have asked the landlord to help alleviate a horrible situation, why do people on here not think that that is the right thing to do?