Tenants have an 'access' problem!

I would think that the tenants have a right to enter the rented property without being harassed by a dog, could the dog not be tethered so it can not go to the area that is the access? when i used to own a property similar to this, everyone fenced off their garden in two parts and left a central walkway free for everyone,

http://blogs.rspca.org.uk/insights/2014/05/14/how-the-changes-to-the-dangerous-dogs-act-affect-you-and-your-dog/#.V0hgn0Y0hZ4

It seems to be the case that the dog owners are responsible for controlling the dog while it is on their property, not just in public places.

However, I think your tennants should be contacting the dog owners landlord if they have an issue, not you as their landlord.

Was there any indication that the dog wasn't controlled?

---------- Post added 28-05-2016 at 11:26 ----------

Well I'd say that the people exercising their right to cross the area should be able to do it without feeling afraid, being threatened, bitten or coming into contact with the dog.

How they feel isn't under the control of the garden owner though.

And they have no right to "not come into contact with" the dog.

---------- Post added 28-05-2016 at 11:27 ----------

How would these dog owners feel if your tenants exercised their right to leave their gates open or removed the gates altogether?

They'd probably feel like calling the police for criminal damage and theft if they removed gates that they don't own.

---------- Post added 28-05-2016 at 11:29 ----------

I would think that the tenants have a right to enter the rented property without being harassed by a dog, could the dog not be tethered so it can not go to the area that is the access? when i used to own a property similar to this, everyone fenced off their garden in two parts and left a central walkway free for everyone,

Harassed is it now.

I have owned various large breeds of dog all my life and I would not dream of keeping one loose in a garden with shared access. I would be concerned that it might get onto the road and be injured - let alone the risk of it knocking a child over.

Was there any indication that the dog wasn't controlled?

I didn't say that, I pointed out the responsibility of dog owners to control their dog when other people are on their property.

How they feel isn't under the control of the garden owner though.

And they have no right to "not come into contact with" the dog.

What contact with the dog would you feel was reasonable, for lets say, a couple with small children?

Edited by SnailyBoy

Buy one of those 99p boxes of dog treats/biscuits from Netto and ask your tenants that each time the dog approaches throw a couple into its garden. Eventually it might be possible to teach it to sit, if it does not already do.

The owner of the dog has a responsibility for the dog wether in public or private.

https://www.gov.uk/control-dog-public/overview

Friend dealt with a case recently where small child went to call for friend, stood in garden and dog jumped up at the child causing injury on falling over. Owner prosecuted.

Who says that it isn't under control?

Who says that it isn't under control?

well, actually the op does

"I have actually met it and she's very lovely but can jump up and get overly giddy!"

if the dog is jumping up at people, then it is not under control, and you pulled up my last post questioning that the dog was causing harassment. if you go to the first page, the op says their tenants felt harassed by the dog