Tenants have an 'access' problem!

I didn't question anyone's integrity. I pointed out that there was no evidence that the dog was dangerously out of control, which was the legislation you were quoting.

Yeah you did, highlighted for your convenience.

The link about being "DANGEROUSLY out of control"?

The dog has not injured someone and the tenants do not (if they're being honest) fear that it will. They have an irrational fear of the dog. It is not DANGEROUSLY out of control.

The OPs description doesn't include anything that suggests her tenants fear being injured by the dog.

It does mention that the tenants have two small children and have to pass across a garden with a 'massive' dog on the loose in that particular garden, which can 'jump up and get overly kiddy!'

So what would you suggest the best course of action would be for them to exercise their right to access and to prevent potential injury to them or their small children?

The OPs description doesn't include anything that suggests her tenants fear being injured by the dog.

Yes it does...

Its a massive Japanese Akita....they can look very intimating.

They feel harassed and the dog is stopping them leaving the property.

what is hard to understand about being scared of the dog, also you dont know what previous experiences the couple have had with dogs.

Why are you trying to argue such an obviously lost argument.?

It does mention that the tenants have two small children and have to pass across a garden with a 'massive' dog on the loose in that particular garden, which can 'jump up and get overly kiddy!'

So what would you suggest the best course of action would be for them to exercise their right to access and to prevent potential injury to them or their small children?

Giddy. Yes it says that. Aggressive or dangerous, no, it doesn't say that.

I'd suggest that first they act like adults and speak to their neighbours, which I think is what quite a few people suggested. It's not the landlords problem or responsibility.

---------- Post added 31-05-2016 at 10:41 ----------

Yes it does...

Its a massive Japanese Akita....they can look very intimating.

They feel harassed and the dog is stopping them leaving the property.

what is hard to understand about being scared of the dog, also you dont know what previous experiences the couple have had with dogs.

Why are you trying to argue such an obviously lost argument.?

To quote SnailyBoy

"You're making massive assumptions there" (Not to mention obvious errors or exaggerations).

Giddy. Yes it says that. Aggressive or dangerous, no, it doesn't say that.

I'd suggest that first they act like adults and speak to their neighbours, which I think is what quite a few people suggested. It's not the landlords problem or responsibility.

---------- Post added 31-05-2016 at 10:41 ----------

To quote SnailyBoy

"You're making massive assumptions there" (Not to mention obvious errors or exaggerations).

So could a massive giddy dog injure a small child?

A responsible dog owner makes sure they know when people are hindered by the presence of the dog. Whether that is because the people are afraid, because the dog is slobbering/leaving hair on them whatever. Leaving a dog out in the garden (with shared access) all day is not exactly responsible dog ownership. It reminds me of the countless little yappie things that have cropped up in the neighbourhood recently, yapping away til midnight gone because mummy forgot to let them in again.

So could a massive giddy dog injure a small child?

"Could injure" doesn't make it dangerously out of control.

pretty much all dogs "could" injure someone. But that isn't the legal test.

---------- Post added 31-05-2016 at 10:53 ----------

A responsible dog owner makes sure they know when people are hindered by the presence of the dog. Whether that is because the people are afraid, because the dog is slobbering/leaving hair on them whatever. Leaving a dog out in the garden (with shared access) all day is not exactly responsible dog ownership. It reminds me of the countless little yappie things that have cropped up in the neighbourhood recently, yapping away til midnight gone because mummy forgot to let them in again.

There is only the 2nd hand statement from the tenants that the dog is out all the time.

And given that they've contacted their landlord instead of just speaking to the neighbour in the first place, I'd give the benefit of the doubt to the dog owner at the moment.