Driver gets 4 1/2 years for crash paralysing two young girls

What would be better would be less focus on speed and more focus on identifying drivers like this before they kill and maim people.

Yes. There was 2 lads on motorbikes doing the most crazy things at high speed near hunters bar the other day. Going though lights, weaving in and out of traffic.

have they got a license? who knows but it will end in either death or injury for themselves or others soon enough.

Traffic police on the road instead of speed cameras. Spot them driving like a tool once, no license for 6 months, twice, no license forever.

Dashcams as well, have the public report it and actually do something about it.

Yes, more traffic police is one idea. I have nothing against speed cameras though. Do you suggest a diversion of funds from new speed cameras to more traffic police?

Does anyone know if the traffic Wombles (as JC calls them, I forget the correct name, Highway Patrol or something) have dash cams? They seem to have some calming influence on the motorway, right up until the point the tail-gaiters, speeders, lane hoggers etc realise they aren't the police.

Traffic police on the road instead of speed cameras. Spot them driving like a tool once, no license for 6 months, twice, no license forever.

Dashcams as well, have the public report it and actually do something about it.

I agree that the best, and possibly only, way to cut death and serious injury is to clamp down on bad driving before the crash. And to do this, it is essential that people have a reason to expect to be caught, even for minor offences. Even a few points on a licence for a minor offence will soon add up if they keep on offending, provided they are caught. Then, they either mend their ways or they get and keep getting banned. Either way, there is one less bad driver on the road.

However, I don't think there is the political will to divert enough of the country's finances into front line traffic police, with the mandate to target bad driving, to have any meaningful effect.

Only disqualified from driving for four years as well. I think some offences should carry permanent driving bans.

He should be made to financially support these two girls till he dies.

Only disqualified from driving for four years as well. I think some offences should carry permanent driving bans.

Thousands of disqualified drivers continue driving, turning them into safer drivers would probably make everyone safer.

Thousands of disqualified drivers continue driving, turning them into safer drivers would probably make everyone safer.

If they've received a temporary ban that might be suitable. If they've committed the sort of offence that would warrant a permanent ban, it's not worth the risk of trying to rehabilitate them.

If they've received a temporary ban that might be suitable. If they've committed the sort of offence that would warrant a permanent ban, it's not worth the risk of trying to rehabilitate them.

But that would very likely result in them driving illegally with no insurance.

But changing the law will not protect the victims in any way. It's just closing the stable door after the horse has bolted.

The calls for higher sentences is nothing to do with the victims, it is to do with our wish to see him suffer.

Excellent point actually