Going Forward For The Owls..

top4718

Of course it could happen next season - it might be a make or break season possibly, having gone so close, if they don't manage it next time? The Chairman has come in at the perfect time, lit a fire under the club and got the whole place buzzing last season, and it almost paid off... if they don't go up next season, who's to say if that initial burst of energy may wane a little.

If they do go up, then of course he would invest even more... but there are three clubs coming down with great fanbases, regular premier league clubs and will have the parachute payments. It looks on paper a lot harder to go up next season...but you are starting from a stronger base.

'Great fanbases' ? Norwich City?? It's in the middle of urban East Anglia! They're are teams in the Championship that have bigger 'fanbases': Preston North End, Huddersfield Town ,Wolves and The Canary's Suffolk neighbours non of whom are from cities.

Hiya talc,

Yes it will be harder next season as you say, Villa, Newcastle and Norwich you lot, Brighton (sold 23kSTs). It said on BBC site this morning that Roberto De Matteo is going to take over, that will make Villa a different team to start with no one knows yet.

I personally think Newcastle will be strong like last time they were down.

Villa and Newcastle have to be out and out favourites. But... so were Fulham, Bolton, Blackburn, Burnley, Hull, QPR... so there is a lot that can go wrong for these teams coming down. I think you are spot on about Newcastle, but Villa have a long and hard slog ahead to get that squad into shape. If they get rid of the big earners there really isn't a lot left. I think Grealish will probably get snapped up, Agbonlahor is in trouble, Guzan might go to Hull (instead of Westwood, one can hope) and there are many more like that.

Norwich and, again I agree, Brighton, have better papers than Wednesday at the moment and I have this sneaking suspicion that Jimmy Hasselbaink is working on turning QPR back into a bit of a force, I heard some rumours about which Dutch players have been approached by them and, if true, they will make a difference.

So we will have to see how it goes, I think we will make the play-offs again but with a bit of magic this summer we could be mixing it up with Villa, Brighton and Norwich for that second auto-spot after Newcastle.

'Great fanbases' ? Norwich City?? It's in the middle of urban East Anglia! They're are teams in the Championship that have bigger 'fanbases': Preston North End, Huddersfield Town ,Wolves and The Canary's Suffolk neighbours non of whom are from cities.

The last time all those except Preston were in the same league Norwich topped the attendance table in comparison with all of them and Wednesday.

Norwich have average attendances of no lower than 24,000 for the last 12 seasons - with a capacity of 27,010... including time in the second and third tiers - so I don't think there's anything to sneer at there...

Only Brighton, Derby and Boro bettered that last season among championship clubs, even in a Norwich relegation season...

Norwich have average attendances of no lower than 24,000 for the last 12 seasons - with a capacity of 27,010... including time in the second and third tiers - so I don't think there's anything to sneer at there...

Only Brighton, Derby and Boro bettered that last season among championship clubs, even in a Norwich relegation season...

Norwich have always had good attendances, it's based in a massive catchment area when the next most popular pastime is the young farmers ball :hihi:

Brighton, Derby and Boro have had good averages over the past few years but have struggled for crowds traditionally, neither have the fan base of Wednesday (or United for that) and haven't the handicap of having 2 league teams in there city!

Norwich have always had good attendances, it's based in a massive catchment area when the next most popular pastime is the young farmers ball :hihi:

Brighton, Derby and Boro have had good averages over the past few years but have struggled for crowds traditionally, neither have the fan base of Wednesday (or United for that) and haven't the handicap of having 2 league teams in there city!

Between us, we averaged around 40k last season!

Well m8 as Boro is quarter the size of sheffield l think there gate it is excellent and considering the local steel industry shutting down recently l think there well supported look at last season average 4000 away from home l think only the owls are on par with that.

All three teams ye mentioned have had good attendances but money's tight everywhere and if ye local match is on sky and its shocking weather outside ye think stay at home !!.

Hiya talc,

Yes it will be harder next season as you say, Villa, Newcastle and Norwich you lot, Brighton (sold 23kSTs). It said on BBC site this morning that Roberto De Matteo is going to take over, that will make Villa a different team to start with no one knows yet.

I personally think Newcastle will be strong like last time they were down.

Hi Bypass,

Nice to hear from you pal. Toons will be strong as last time in champ, Norwich will be strong and to be honest think Villa will struggle but we will see. For me Derby will do well and think they will get automatic promotion probs second, think we will be around playoffs again but depends on signings etc !

Majority of the squad are under contract so it looks like the loanees will return to there parent clubs where there futures will be decided. I would try to sign Lopez, Pudil, and Bennett out of the loanees, and possibly Price which gives us four quality keepers. As long term i don,t see Lavery, Palmer and Stobbs making the step up thats required but if we can get them loaned out and it,s not costing us then it gives them a chance to shine. It,s the end of next season when i feel the axe will fall as a few contracts will be coming to an end. As for bringing in players two out and out wingers must be high up on the agenda, but i,ll leave it to CC he,ll know what he needs.

http://www.swfc.co.uk/news/article/owls-reveal-player-list-3138346.aspx