Underground railway

Afternoon all

I was recently speaking to a friend of mine and i told him that i recall seeing an old map/drawing of an underground railway that was proposed for Sheffield back in the 1800s (i think). Now, i know that there was a monorail proposed in the 70s but irs not that. I did think thst i had read a thread on this site, but after checking i dont think it was. Anyone help please?

Thanks

Afternoon all

I was recently speaking to a friend of mine and i told him that i recall seeing an old map/drawing of an underground railway that was proposed for Sheffield back in the 1800s (i think). Now, i know that there was a monorail proposed in the 70s but irs not that. I did think thst i had read a thread on this site, but after checking i dont think it was. Anyone help please?

Thanks

There is a thread on Sheffield History> Sheffield Transport> City & Suburban Railway 1899 that you may have seen, it is dated 24 October 2012 (page 5) which could be the one you saw some time ago.

Glasgow has the oldest subway in the UK that was built in the 19th Century so the engineering was there Shieldfield

The first underground railway in the world was the first section of the Metropolitan Railway in London, built in the 1860s using the cut and cover method.

The first deep level "tube" railway was the City and South London Railway which opened in 1890, some 6 years before the Glasgow Subway.

The first underground railway in the world was the first section of the Metropolitan Railway in London, built in the 1860s using the cut and cover method..

The Metropolitan Railway(first opened 1863) was engineered by Sheffield born John Fowler - arguably the most influential and most successful British civil engineer of all time but unfortunately shadowed by the historic failures of Brunel.