Engine management light on after using Tesco petrol

Anyone else has issues with Tesco fuel? After refueling at Tesco the engine warning light came on - I took it to the garage and it was reporting issues with both catalytic converters! CATS checked, no sign of any damage, reset the error and ran a cat cleaner though it then put proper fuel back in it and so far so good.

Could be a co-incidence but it seems unlikely.

Anyone else has issues with Tesco fuel? After refueling at Tesco the engine warning light came on - I took it to the garage and it was reporting issues with both catalytic converters! CATS checked, no sign of any damage, reset the error and ran a cat cleaner though it then put proper fuel back in it and so far so good.

Could be a co-incidence but it seems unlikely.

A rumour circulated that tesco provided inferior fuel a while back.

---------- Post added 31-05-2016 at 13:43 ----------

Sample size of n=1, I'd say it's most likely to be coincidence.

Likely to be coincidence based on what?

we need to know more details.

Yes, its one of those rumours on the rounds. I have no idea how true it is. But when I asked my mechanic if I should use high octane unleaded or regular stuff in my car he said don't bother with high octane, but buy your petrol from a proper garage not a supermarket.

I've often wondered why cars can be tuned. You know, you buy a car then take it away to be souped up. I thought, if the engine has 20 more hp to give why doesn't it come out the factory with that extra 20?? I got the answer in a Wheeler Dealers episode. Cars are undertuned because in some markets the petrol is quite low quality. In the UK we have better quality petrol so the engine can be allowed to reach its full potential without being damaged.

Edited by Shef1985

I doubt anymore details are available.

So, I'd say likely to be a coincidence or lots of other people would be reporting problems.

We (humans) look for cause and effect when something random happens. It rains, haven't appeased the rain god enough, it doesn't rain, haven't appeased the rain god enough, engine warning light comes on, well, it must have been the most recent petrol I put in... The logic that links the two things is entirely spurious.

---------- Post added 31-05-2016 at 13:49 ----------

Yes, its one of those rumours on the rounds. I have no idea how true it is. But when I asked my mechanic if I should use high octane unleaded or regular stuff in my car he said don't bother with high octane, but buy your petrol from a proper garage not a supermarket.

You know where Esso, Shell and supermarkets all buy their petrol from?

So, I'd say likely to be a coincidence or lots of other people would be reporting problems.

We (humans) look for cause and effect when something random happens. It rains, haven't appeased the rain god enough, it doesn't rain, haven't appeased the rain god enough, engine warning light comes on, well, it must have been the most recent petrol I put in... The logic that links the two things is entirely spurious.

---------- Post added 31-05-2016 at 13:49 ----------

You know where Esso, Shell and supermarkets all buy their petrol from?

Just reporting on what a mechanic told me. Whether the rumour is true or not, some believe it, even fully qualified grease monkeys. I only wanted to know if I needed high octane!

I fill up when I need to. Supermarket, Shell, BP.....the car has been fine. If I had a Ferrari I might do a little more research!

Likely not to be the petrol. Unless he put diesel in the tank instead of unleaded!

But would enough of them report it on here, or to make the news, for the sample to become representative enough?

Is the contents and pattern of distribution such that the problem would exist in other local or non-local forecourts?

I'm not fishing for an argument, just musing here. Contamination can and does happen, in the forecourts' tanks themselves.

We used to have an '06 Impreza (nearly new and unmodified) with an engine that was fine on 97/98 from anywhere, but quite adverse to 95 from anywhere other than Shell.

That was consistent though: engine juddering and missing every time we'd put in 95 from Tesco or Morrisons, but never with Shell's 95 and never with 97 or 98 from anywhere. Monty's then Europa both confirmed that we should avoid 'cheap' 95.

It was definitely petrol! Guess I will never know. Car is running fine but apparently the light is unlikely to come back on unless I take it on a long run. Fingers crossed it doesn't!

On the subject of high octane fuel, I get better MPG if I use it.

Talking to the mechanic he was saying he hasn't seen any issues with Tesco petrol but he advises against using Morrisons Diesel. Very high veg oil content or something, it knackers the injectors.