Engine management light on after using Tesco petrol

Talking to the mechanic he was saying he hasn't seen any issues with Tesco petrol but he advises against using Morrisons Diesel. Very high veg oil content or something, it knackers the injectors.

Load of rubbish ... Had 2 X 307 estates both did 140k now a skoda octavia on 130k use morrisons 97% on all of the cars never had an issue

Been filling up at Tesco in Dinnington for 15 Years + and never had any problems with their unleaded.

Likely not to be the petrol. Unless he put diesel in the tank instead of unleaded!

Which is impossible (At the pumps anyway) as a diesel nozzle wont fit in an unleaded filler neck.

Just reporting on what a mechanic told me. Whether the rumour is true or not, some believe it, even fully qualified grease monkeys. I only wanted to know if I needed high octane!

I fill up when I need to. Supermarket, Shell, BP.....the car has been fine. If I had a Ferrari I might do a little more research!

If you had a ferrari you would certainly be visiting more petrol stations to do the research :)

• 3 weeks later...
I always try to use Shell's premium unleaded, I reckon its about 10% more expensive per litre but from experience I reckon I get between 15-30% better mileage. I used to use Tesco 95 and that was always Ok, BP's stuff seemed particularly rough if I filled up with 95 but the 97 was about OK. Using the Shell stuff the car seems quieter, smoother, more responsive and generally a happier drive.

I can back this one up. My old Alfa used to hate BP fuel. It took me a while to figure out why the car would occasionally run rough and, after some experimentation, it was definitely worse after filling up on BP. Some people told me, like Cyclone, that all the fuel was basically the same. But as soon as I ran through a tank of Shell the problem went away. So, basically, it wasn't.

Interesting that with my new car I fill up at Morrisons quite regularly and have noticed a little in the way of stuttering recently, which a bottle of Redex seemed to cure. Due for a fill up this weekend so may start the experiment again to see if there is any correlation.

Just to digress slightly but regarding Tesco and petrol - I filled up at Tesco on Abbeydale Road yesterday and had to stand in what looked like a spillage of some kind which had been covered in sand. When I returned to my car my foot slipped off the brake caused by the slime on my shoes. I cleaned my shoes and the pedal and went into the shop to inform the cashier that there was a problem, that I had sorted if for myself but that there was a potential danger for others. The cashier couldn't have been less bothered, told me he would sort it but was still sitting behind the till in an empty shop with his colleague when I drove away several minutes later.

Tesco - apparently don't give a damn apparently.

Edited by Daven

I can back this one up. My old Alfa used to hate BP fuel. It took me a while to figure out why the car would occasionally run rough and, after some experimentation, it was definitely worse after filling up on BP. Some people told me, like Cyclone, that all the fuel was basically the same. But as soon as I ran through a tank of Shell the problem went away. So, basically, it wasn't.

Interesting that with my new car I fill up at Morrisons quite regularly and have noticed a little in the way of stuttering recently, which a bottle of Redex seemed to cure. Due for a fill up this weekend so may start the experiment again to see if there is any correlation.

My experience is exactly the same, but I'm told its all in my imagination and I'm just paying extra for snake oil. The only supermarket fuel my car seems to accept is Sainsburys.

I'm quite lucky as my local Shell is virtually the same price as supermarkets anyway.

Edited by alchresearch

Talking to the mechanic he was saying he hasn't seen any issues with Tesco petrol but he advises against using Morrisons Diesel. Very high veg oil content or something, it knackers the injectors.

Load of rubbish ... Had 2 X 307 estates both did 140k now a skoda octavia on 130k use morrisons 97% on all of the cars never had an issue

Are you having a laugh? 307 is one of the most unreliable car ever and you rekon you done 140k without problem

Are you having a laugh? 307 is one of the most unreliable car ever and you rekon you done 140k without problem

You've never owned a Landrover then for unreliability.... the new breed of Pugs are quite reasonable and I can easily see 140k problem free from one assuming it's serviced appropriately. I've certainly done that myself and the car is still going strong at 200k plus with my neighbour.