Woman says she was thrown out of barber shop for being female

Specifically

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/30713158/what-are-your-rights-when-your-haircut-goes-wrong

It's almost like, I, and everyone else, is correct, and you are wrong...

Lets assume for on moment that you are right, you aren't by the way, do you give your driving licence or passport to the shop owner before you have your hair cut, if not how would they know who to sue when you refuse to pay?

Lets assume for on moment that you are right, you aren't by the way, do you give your driving licence or passport to the shop owner before you have your hair cut, if not how would they know who to sue when you refuse to pay?

He is right, but whatever....Giving false details after refusal of payment I assume would be illegal. In fact it says as much in Cyclone's example.

He is right, but whatever....Giving false details after refusal of payment I assume would be illegal.

That wouldn't be much help would it, that's way shops have the legal right to detain people that try to leave without paying.

No they don't, that would a serious mistake.

But I'm losing interest now that I've proven you wrong, it's tedious just repeating it back to you.

Tell you what, you keep paying when you don't have to, and I won't. If I ever get arrested, I'll be sure to let you know.

That wouldn't be much help would it, that's way shops have the legal right to detain people that try to leave without paying.

Correct, but risky; counter claims for wrongful imprisonment would follow if you have explained why you won't pay and provided correct details.

If you have provided wrong details and been detained by staff the police will take a dim view of you irrespective of your claims of poor service. If you provide incorrect details and leave then you are a criminal irrespective of your claims of poor service.

If you provide correct details and leave then it's up to the civil courts.

Edited by Shef1985

No they don't, that would a serious mistake.

But I'm losing interest now that I've proven you wrong, it's tedious just repeating it back to you.

Tell you what, you keep paying when you don't have to, and I won't. If I ever get arrested, I'll be sure to let you know.

I posted the relevant sections of British law, if you choose to ignore them that's up to you.

---------- Post added 01-06-2016 at 22:01 ----------

Correct, but risky; counter claims for wrongful imprisonment would follow if you have explained why you won't pay and provided correct details.

If you have provided wrong details and been detained by staff the police will take a dim view of you irrespective of your claims of poor service. If you provide incorrect details and leave then you are a criminal irrespective of your claims of poor service.

If you provide correct details and leave then it's up to the civil courts.

No one is going to know whether the details are correct or not until you try to sue someone that doesn't exist. But doing it your way I suppose the shop owner could ask for proof of identity and then take photos of them before they leave.

Edited by sutty27

I posted the relevant sections of British law, if you choose to ignore them that's up to you.

---------- Post added 01-06-2016 at 22:01 ----------

No one is going to know whether the details are correct or not until you try to sue someone that doesn't exist. But doing it your way I suppose the shop owner could ask for proof of identity and then take photos of them before they leave.

Well...maybe. Would be risky demanding the patron do either (open up their wallet to show a licence or pose for a photo on the basis you thought they were lying about their identity). That's when you'd need your judgement about detaining them. Of course you could ask politely.

The proprieter could use CCTV footage for the police if it turns out the details were false. But it might be a pain in the ass finding them.

Anecdotally and in my experience people don't like a fuss. They pay for shoddy service but simply never return to the shop or whatever in question. Oh, and nowadays trash the place online when they get home.

Edited by Shef1985

He is right, but whatever....Giving false details after refusal of payment I assume would be illegal. In fact it says as much in Cyclone's example.

Providing false details would be a fairly clear indicator that your actions were dishonest - as required by the statute.

I keep telling my OH to go down the bottom of The Moor and get a £4 haircut like mine, but she insists on going to bloody stupid hairdressers and paying 3 times as much.

If everyone just wanted a No. 2 all over like me then there'd be none of this nonsense