Woman says she was thrown out of barber shop for being female

Errrrrm i thought barbers and hairdressers had completely different training in cutting hair and barbers are trained to cut mens hair not womens... I could be completely wrong though!

Apart from style, is there some fundamental difference that requires different skills?

But if this is the case then is the man in the wrong to refuse to cut a womans hair?? is it really discrimination that requires a trip to court and waste everyones time?

She wanted a "mans" haircut...

If she'd wanted techniques that a barbers can't do, layering or some other thing that men have never even heard of, then refusing would be entirely reasonable. But if she wants a number 2 back and sides and trim on top, then that's what they do.

Also, any hairdresser / barber can refuse to cut anyone with nits/lice in their hair, how do we know she wasnt riddled with them?

Well neither side have said that she had lice... So I'm going to assume she doesn't for now.

Because businesses can't legally discriminate based on gender, which is quite clearly what they were doing...

Does that mean that women only gyms are illegal :huh:

I've always thought my local swimming pool using valuable timetable slots for women only was very unfair.

Apart from style, is there some fundamental difference that requires different skills?

She wanted a "mans" haircut...

If she'd wanted techniques that a barbers can't do, layering or some other thing that men have never even heard of, then refusing would be entirely reasonable. But if she wants a number 2 back and sides and trim on top, then that's what they do.

Well neither side have said that she had lice... So I'm going to assume she doesn't for now.

I don't know as i havent been to hair and beauty school! I would like to hear from any hairdressers / barbers though.

I always remember my dad taking me along with him when i was little when he went to the barbers, he used to go to the one on Stannington Road. I don't recall ever seeing a woman in there, and same with the hairdressers where my mum used to go on stanwood shops, you'd never see a bloke.

Because businesses can't legally discriminate based on gender, which is quite clearly what they were doing...

I have often wondered if I can call up Sheila's Wheels for insurance. Just for kicks and giggles. I'd be interested to know if they do flat refuse male drivers or just quote obscene amounts to dissuade.

Though....the EU said you cannot charge male and female drivers different amounts solely on gender now. Have they gone bust? I haven't seen one of their irritating adverts in yonks. Thank god!!

Then why comment on the woman's appearance. How is that relevant?

Because at first i didnt really take in her appearance and then when i went back to the link and took a look at her i realised she had very very short hair!!

The relevance is because i was thinking of a barber refusing to cut long luscious locks..

Don't be so sensitive and think people can't post things just because you don't get it!