Woman says she was thrown out of barber shop for being female

Because it's a barbers for men.

The actual term Barber means; "a person whose occupation is mainly to cut, dress, groom, style and shave men's and boys' hair."

So yes, its a place for males to have the above done.

I notice that the proprietor when asked if he did not serve female clients didn't answer. If he had said no then he probably would have been discriminating.

The actual term Barber means; "a person whose occupation is mainly to cut, dress, groom, style and shave men's and boys' hair."

So yes, its a place for males to have the above done.

I notice that the proprietor when asked if he did not serve female clients didn't answer. If he had said no then he probably would have been discriminating.

It seems that you can go to college to get a qualification in cutting MEN'S HAIR. I suppose that doesn't qualify you to cut ladies hair unless they want to look like David Beckham.

It is perfectly legal for a barbers to turn a woman away. Let's end the thread here.

Why would we end it on an entirely incorrect assertion?

---------- Post added 01-06-2016 at 18:02 ----------

Because it's a barbers for men.

---------- Post added 01-06-2016 at 16:31 ----------

Because its not illegal. If the shop has gender as it's main characteristic it can serve men only if it likes, according to the equalities act 2010.

So that woman will have to deal with it im afraid.

Are you now confusing shop with private club?

It seems that you can go to college to get a qualification in cutting MEN'S HAIR. I suppose that doesn't qualify you to cut ladies hair unless they want to look like David Beckham.

And both men and women can apply for these courses, so no discrimination there.

What IS discrimination, and most probably illegal, is refusing to offer your skills in cutting hair (which we might refer to a man's style for simplicity) just because the customer is a woman. If Anna Kaminski was asking for something beyond the skills of the barber (which we might refer to a woman's style for simplicity) then the barber would be legally entitled to refuse. But Anna Kaminski was simply asking for a short back and sides, a man's style of haircut.

If I was to go into Spa1877 and ask for my nails to be painted I might get a funny look, but to refuse to serve me just because I am a man would most probably be illegal.