Woman says she was thrown out of barber shop for being female

So at least you recognise the futility of your 'argument', and so resort to this. That's good.

Now go and think about how a woman with polycystic ovary syndrome and wants her beard trimming would feel if you told her to go to a woman's hairdressers.

---------- Post added 01-06-2016 at 18:53 ----------

Yes, it's on the public high street. They are open to the public. You do know what public means is assume.

I've already said it's entirely legal. I asked a question...are they advertising to women?

---------- Post added 01-06-2016 at 18:16 ----------

https://www.equalityhumanrights.com/en/advice-and-guidance/equality-law-hairdressers-barbers-and-beauty-salons

If you normally supply services only for people with a particular protected characteristic (such as gay men or lesbians), you can carry on providing the service the same way.

You can refuse to provide the service to someone who does not have that charateristic if you reasonably think it is impracticable for you to provide them with the service.

---------- Post added 01-06-2016 at 18:17 ----------

It isn't incorrect, if your business specifically caters to one social demographic, you do not have to offer services to all.

You will disagree with everyone as is the norm for you I imagine.

Absolutely correct.

It isn't incorrect, if your business specifically caters to one social demographic, you do not have to offer services to all.

You will disagree with everyone as is the norm for you I imagine.

It appears that most people disagree with you actually, so I guess I'll carry on agreeing with the majority.

---------- Post added 01-06-2016 at 19:20 ----------

I've already said it's entirely legal. I asked a question...are they advertising to women?

---------- Post added 01-06-2016 at 18:16 ----------

https://www.equalityhumanrights.com/en/advice-and-guidance/equality-law-hairdressers-barbers-and-beauty-salons

If you normally supply services only for people with a particular protected characteristic (such as gay men or lesbians), you can carry on providing the service the same way.

You can refuse to provide the service to someone who does not have that charateristic if you reasonably think it is impracticable for you to provide them with the service.

---------- Post added 01-06-2016 at 18:17 ----------

Absolutely correct.

Did you even read your own link there? It specifically tells you that you're wrong here.

A hairdresser provides African Caribbean hairdressing services. Equality law does not force the hairdresser to provide European-style hairdressing services. However, if a white European woman asks for her hair to be styled in a way that the hairdresser would provide to an African Caribbean woman, such as braiding, the hairdresser cannot refuse to do this unless the hairdresser reasonably believes it would be impracticable.

This

If you run a beauty-related business and want to provide separate services for men and women or a single-sex service for men or women only, then you need to be able to objectively justify providing your service in this way. You must meet other conditions as well, such as that a joint service would be less effective, or that men’s needs and women’s needs are different.

Clearly doesn't apply.

Edited by Cyclone

It appears that most people disagree with you actually, so I guess I'll carry on agreeing with the majority.

---------- Post added 01-06-2016 at 19:20 ----------

Did you even read your own link there? It specifically tells you that you're wrong here.

This

Clearly doesn't apply.

If the hair dresser cuts mens hair and think it's impractical to cut women's hair then it's legal.

I've already said it's entirely legal.

According to Sam Smethers, CEO of women's equality and rights group The Fawcett Society, the shop's actions were "almost certainly" illegal.

This has been tested in the courts in the US and found to be illegal.

I asked a question...are they advertising to women?

I answered your question, I said yes. I'll say it again ... yes.

It's a public shop, on the public high street. Any shop advertising itself as "women only" or "men only" would most certainly be illegal.

Jeesh, this is really simple. Anna Kaminski wanted a men's style haircut, so she went to a men's style haircut shop. It's legal to offer men's style haircuts, it's illegal to offer haircuts for men only.

Watch

A hairdresser provides MENS hairdressing services. Equality law does not force the hairdresser to provide WOMEN'S hairdressing services. However, if a WOMAN asks for her hair to be styled in a way that the hairdresser would provide to a MAN, such as CUTTING IT IN A MAN'S CUT, the hairdresser cannot refuse to do this unless the hairdresser reasonably believes it would be impracticable.

See, what I did there was replace African Caribbean with MAN and white European Woman with just WOMAN.

Now, it's exactly the situation being discussed.

You can run services aimed at one sex , but the reason for refusing someone must be objectively justifiable. In this case she wanted the same cut as men get.

If that was the case it is difficult to imagine why, after protest, the hairdresser didn't cut the woman's hair. It would be the perfect opportunity to really make a dog's breakfast of the job, with no comeback whatsoever.