Road closures with no advance signs

Schedules have been posted on the council website for ages. I live in S35 and recall not only seeing signs but receiving a letter telling me about the closures which were due. As with many huge projects nowhere will be able to give you a specific date for when something may happen.

Jesus tonight, some people never cease to amaze me. Whinge and moan about the terrible state of the roads from this "car hating council" - council implements a multi-million pound resurfacing programme - Whinge and moan about terrible road closures which allow them to get the work done!

God sake people, its a temporary closure causing SOME inconveninece whilst they undertake essential work. It has to be done sometimes and yes, it may cause you to be held up. Tough. What else are the workmen supposed to do? Magically make the surface repair itself?

Dont know why they bothered. They cant win no matter what they do.

They do road repairs - people moan about closures

They clean the streets - people moan about the costs

They open a new facility - people say its a white elephant and waste of money

They cut down decaying or dangerous trees - environmentalists demand it stops.

Trees fall over - people moan the council arn't doing anything.

Sometimes the comments on here makes me want to be a councillor just to tell people to stick their demands for improvements up their behind.

Edited by ECCOnoob

"Most car hating council in the north of England makes it harder for motorists to use roads shock"

Are they having every road in the city resurfaced just for public transport

then?

Most of the other councils are not having the entire road system resurfaced.

In your world they must be car loving.

Edited by bazjea

Jesus tonight, some people never cease to amaze me. Whinge and moan about the terrible state of the roads from this "car hating council" - council implements a multi-million pound resurfacing programme - Whinge and moan about terrbie road closures which allow them to get the work done!

God sake people, its a temporary closure causing SOME inconveninece whilst they undertake essential work. It has to be done sometimes and yes, it may cause you to be held up. Tough. What else are the workmen supposed to do? Magically make the surface repair itself?

They open a new facility - people say its a white elephant and waste of money*

Sometimes the comments on here makes me want to be a councillor just to tell people to stick their demands for improvements up their behind.

Excellent post, but you missed out one point:

*They close an existing but underused facility - people declare the city is dying on its feet.

Schedules have been posted on the council website for ages. I live in S35 and recall not only seeing signs but receiving a letter telling me about the closures which were due. As with many huge projects nowhere will be able to give you a specific date for when something may happen.

Jesus tonight, some people never cease to amaze me. Whinge and moan about the terrible state of the roads from this "car hating council" - council implements a multi-million pound resurfacing programme - Whinge and moan about terrible road closures which allow them to get the work done!

They open a new facility - people say its a white elephant and waste of money

I think you've entirely missed the point.

The lack of signs being put out to tell motorists that a route ahead is closed is what I was complaining about.

You don't need to know an exact schedule if you see a sign saying that Parkside Rd is closed (they even have a whole bunch of electronic signs that they could be using). Finding out as your reach Parkside Rd is less than helpful, and a diversion via Oughtibridge is ludicrous!

All it takes is for them to stick some decent sized signs up pre-warning of this and we'd all be happy.

They also do it when trimming the verges and bushes/trees. No prior warning and you're stuck on the motorway as all of the exits are closed off.

"Most car hating council in the north of England makes it harder for motorists to use roads shock"

And yet 3x more people vote for more Labour than any other option every election. I think after the EU vote I'm going to give up voting as its utterly pointless.

Not only car drivers caught out during the resurfacing. Yesterday, when Weston Bank closed for the day, the 52 bus driver only realised he should have been diverted to Glossop Road when he got past Weston Park Hospital and had to turn the double deck vehicle round and go back to Broomhill.

I couldn't believe this. Waiting at the traffic lights at the end of Penistone Road, waiting to go up Halifax Road, when workmen simply walked out and put traffic cones straight across the road ahead.

No warning whatsoever, leaving drivers wondering what to do or where to go. Eventually they moved a few cones to allow cars to turn around and come back down the other carriageway. ...Unbelievable, never seen anything like it...

I saw something like this in Hull years ago, the main road was just coned off with a diversion turning people right down a one-way street which looped back and sent people right again, back onto the closed road in a neverending loop

Oops, no, I was 16 and had a few Newcastle Browns and fancied myself as a late night traffic engineer :hihi::hihi: