Road closures with no advance signs

Yep, like last week when it was closed and I had to go through oughtibridge to get home... if I'd known earlier I'd have gone up onto langsett and through Hillsborough corner. Grrr

Yeah, I got through just before they totally closed catchbar lane, my friends who didn't see my message had to do the same as you. We could all have gone through Hillsborough or Wisewood as an alternative that was shorter.

---------- Post added 01-06-2016 at 20:30 ----------

Got caught out with this on Friday night whilst trying to get to work for my night shift. No notices on Holme Lane or Bradfield Road. By the time I was stuck at the lights, to get onto Penistone Road there was no way to get out of it cos I had passed all available exits and there were other vehicles behind me!

And I saw that queue as well. They'd literally stopped people at the little Asda, but these people then had nowhere to go...

Try this one for size:

Was going to turn right towards West Bar from Shalesmoor/Moorfields but sign said "CLOSED: DIVERSION" so it pointed me straight on

SO I dutifully proceeded to Bridgehouses roundabout where I went 180 and back up Moorfields and followed the diversion sign left onto Bridge Street (One Way)

The next junction said "ROAD CLOSED AHEAD" and diverted me left onto Millsands

At the end of Millsands, towards West Bar, barriers across the road said "ROAD CLOSED"

Turning around, back to the Bridge Street junction: No left turn (Road Closed). No through route straight ahead as it was closed with stored construction vehicles. Right turn was OK but...at the nd of Bridge Street it's one way - the other way.

A perfect car trap

I couldn't believe this. Waiting at the traffic lights at the end of Penistone Road, waiting to go up Halifax Road, when workmen simply walked out and put traffic cones straight across the road ahead.

No warning whatsoever, leaving drivers wondering what to do or where to go. Eventually they moved a few cones to allow cars to turn around and come back down the other carriageway. ...Unbelievable, never seen anything like it...

When in France about 5 years ago we left our motel out of town to go to the centre for a meal. Came back and found our road closed. Must have had to drive about 10 miles further to get back as the diversion signs took us right past the hotel in the dark, but on wrong side of a dual carriageway. By morning you'd not have known the roadworks had been there, and traffic was back to normal. The entire stretch of one carriageway had been completely relaid as they worked all through the night.

I can sympathise with both the contractors and the inconvenienced. We certainly weren't happy bunnies that very noisy night, but it was only the one night, apparently! Much harder in city centres.

If it's emergency work they don't have to put signs up. Sometimes it may appear they aren't working as they are waiting for another crew to come and carry out some work before they can do anything (i.e. if there is a blockage in a drain they have to wait for the camera crew to come out and put a camera down to find out what is causing it before they can do anything). Amey are subcontracted by Yorkshire Water to do some of this work which may be what the issue was on Derek Dooley Way (I also got caught in this last week when I could have gone several alternative routes home if I knew).