HMRC online and phone - an endless circle of nonsense

ash,

My sincerest sympathy. I know exactly what you talking about.

I've only ever once self-assessed and it was aa nightmare. I know soeme people are quite good at it and do it all the time.

However, once was enough for me. I ended up in a protracted row over tax which I didn't owe them.

Good luck.

I registered for self assessment and I didn't have a single problem. I had the SA tied in with my existing gateway account and just filled the form in online which took about 30 mins. I got my tax result straightaway and it also sorted out my tax code for next year. Very simple and easy.

I registered for self assessment and I didn't have a single problem. I had the SA tied in with my existing gateway account and just filled the form in online which took about 30 mins. I got my tax result straightaway and it also sorted out my tax code for next year. Very simple and easy.

That's not the same issue as I'm having though. I wrote it in the OP. When I tried to register, it said I already was registered. Last time I was self-emp was 10 years ago, so I can't remember my details... and as I wrote, I can't even remember using online! I paid an account and he did it for me.

I've gone through everything the site says to retrieve my details. I've rang them and spoken to someone one time, and still I can't retrieve my details to log in.

I had exactly the same problems last year when I had to do a self employed tax return for the first time in ten years. It was a nightmare dealing with HMRC online and getting all the permissions and reference numbers to access their online filing system.

I tried phoning them and gave up after 40 minutes on hold.

I feel foolish for persevering and actually paying the tax I owed. Their system is so chaotic and understaffed that I'm sure I could have avoided paying any tax and they would never have caught up with me.

I had exactly the same problems last year when I had to do a self employed tax return for the first time in ten years. It was a nightmare dealing with HMRC online and getting all the permissions and reference numbers to access their online filing system.

I tried phoning them and gave up after 40 minutes on hold.

I feel foolish for persevering and actually paying the tax I owed. Their system is so chaotic and understaffed that I'm sure I could have avoided paying any tax and they would never have caught up with me.

Nagel, sounds like exactly the same issue. I must say, the perseverance aspect from my point of view is long gone. Problem is, they'll catch up with me sooner or later if I give up.

I think my last action will have to be contact an accountant and see if they'll do it on a paper copy they have in stock, and hope my details (minus online ones) are enough.

Nagel, sounds like exactly the same issue. I must say, the perseverance aspect from my point of view is long gone. Problem is, they'll catch up with me sooner or later if I give up.

I think my last action will have to be contact an accountant and see if they'll do it on a paper copy they have in stock, and hope my details (minus online ones) are enough.

Can you not write a formal letter of complaint laying out the situation and offering full cooperation when they've assigned somebody who can sort it.

Keep a copy, then if they try to get you later they'll be on very shaky ground.

Can you not write a formal letter of complaint laying out the situation and offering full cooperation when they've assigned somebody who can sort it.

Keep a copy, then if they try to get you later they'll be on very shaky ground.

Yes good idea unbeliever, I perhaps should have been writing dates down, though I have some dates in this thread, and plenty of emails.

It's probably better than the email I sent them the other day which was the time of my temper! (I doubt they'll receive it though, I just replied to one).

There doesn't even seem to be a simple way to email them. You have to put in your details to email them! :hihi:

You may (or may not) be amused by this message from HMRC's Chief Executive:

"...we’re changing the way we manage the tax system: putting our customers at the heart of what we do, delivering world-class digital services, making the best use of data, making it easy for the honest majority to do their taxes and hard for the dishonest minority to cheat the system........It’s no coincidence that each of our three new groups have ‘Customer’ as the first word in their name.

Our new structure will help us to become an organisation that is truly focused on customers, providing great customer service and designing policies, products and processes with customers in mind"

What a load of old toss.

You may (or may not) be amused by this message from HMRC's Chief Executive:

"...we’re changing the way we manage the tax system: putting our customers at the heart of what we do, delivering world-class digital services, making the best use of data, making it easy for the honest majority to do their taxes and hard for the dishonest minority to cheat the system........It’s no coincidence that each of our three new groups have ‘Customer’ as the first word in their name.

Our new structure will help us to become an organisation that is truly focused on customers, providing great customer service and designing policies, products and processes with customers in mind"

What a load of old toss.

World class digital services??!?!?!??

Bollards. The hmrc website has been designed by a mad man. It's awful, often circular, taking you through different pages for no real reason. I've got at least two logins, one for paye and one for vat, I might have a third actually. Can I put that info together? Good heavens no.