HMRC online and phone - an endless circle of nonsense

Back on the topic: isn't it a confession of failure when any call-handling service's outgoing message has almost always a claim of exceptionally high call volumes? How can the level be exceptionally high all the time?

Low numbers of staff is one explanation, the other is that many other people get stuck in a circle like me on this ridiculous website, hence they ring up.

This is the latest update Jeffrey... and this was where I got to yesterday when I tried again. Get this!

I clicked on the 'verify user thingy' which it says takes 10 mins...

hang on a second...

:hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi:

ok, back on story, it ask me what I have for ID, so I clicked on all the things I have, and didn't click passport because I don't have one.

The site told me that the Post Office would do a check on me. I filled it in as it asks, clicking through, and one of the the processes was this: 'put in your passport number'. I couldn't get past that bit, even though I DID NOT click on 'I have a passport'.

Absolute joke. I think I can claim that I've tried my hardest and I'm not a thicko either.

Low numbers of staff is one explanation, the other is that many other people get stuck in a circle like me on this ridiculous website, hence they ring up.

This is the latest update Jeffrey... and this was where I got to yesterday when I tried again. Get this!

I clicked on the 'verify user thingy' which it says takes 10 mins...

hang on a second...

:hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi:

ok, back on story, it ask me what I have for ID, so I clicked on all the things I have, and didn't click passport because I don't have one.

The site told me that the Post Office would do a check on me. I filled it in as it asks, clicking through, and one of the the processes was this: 'put in your passport number'. I couldn't get past that bit, even though I DID NOT click on 'I have a passport'.

Absolute joke. I think I can claim that I've tried my hardest and I'm not a thicko either.

If you have all this recorded I would suggest you don't try any further and wait for HMRC to approach you to collect the tax.

You obviously have done your bit as a good citizen and tried to pay tax, but if they make it that difficult why bother?

Remember when you could go along to Concept House at the bottom of The Moor and talk to someone? However "Delighting the Customer"tm 2007 and "Putting the Customer at the Heart of Everything We Do) tm 2014 meant that they all got shut.

There is no finer way of "channeling" "customers" than a closed door.

Remember when you could go along to Concept House at the bottom of The Moor and talk to someone? However "Delighting the Customer"tm 2007 and "Putting the Customer at the Heart of Everything We Do) tm 2014 meant that they all got shut.

Too right!

What an experience HMRC is. I recommend people just avoid it based on mine.

Too right!

What an experience HMRC is. I recommend people just avoid it based on mine.

Honestly Ash, just thank your lucky stars you haven't had to deal with this shower http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/protect/2016/09/hmrc-wont-extend-contract-for-tax-credit-checking-firm-concentrix

Presumably Concentrix refers to the circles you travel in while trying to get a resolution. That is if, IF, you can get them to pick up the bloody phone

I remember sliding through those doors like Indiana Jones with a vat return clutched in me hand. I prefer the website. Actually, I'd much prefer a better website but the idea is sound - the execution, not so much.

There's an excellent but under-used tactic for senior staff in just about any firm (or part of HMG).

Try telephoning from an outside line- shielding one's number by 141- and ask to speak to [your own name]. See what excuse the switchboard person comes up with re why you're not there. Experience what it's like for outsiders trying to contact a Real Person. Then go back to work and fix your firm's problem!

It's odd that HMRCs website is so appalling as the DVLAs has come on leap and bounds in past couple of years. Can do pretty much everything online now in a matter of minutes. It's not hard really is it so come on HMRC, why on earth aren't you making it INSANELY easy for people to pay their taxes!

---------- Post added 16-09-2016 at 15:37 ----------

:hihi:

I tried cancelling part of my BT contract last month, and after clicking on seemingly hundreds of options to find any kind of cancellation option, see the same page when clicked! :hihi: They have also timed the message so it 'appears to try and find it' first before telling you the page is down :hihi:

Amazing though, if you click on 'I want more things', which is most of the site, the page is open before my finger has completed the second half of the mouse click procedure.

I don't think BT are that clever Ash :)