HMRC online and phone - an endless circle of nonsense

Ash if you ever registered for online returns you should have a little blue card with your passcode and UTR Unique Tax Return number. find that and you are sorted. If you had an accountant sort your books then they may well have these details and not passed them to you. Hope this helps and you can remember who it was who did your books.

It was so long ago Ma, that I lost any details, and the HMRC wanted a month and year that I last logged in! How the **** could I remember the month? I can't even ever remember being HMRC online in 2003/4! I guessed 3 times, got them all wrong and locked that out.

I tried again, I did everything the site said, I rang them 3 times (total nearly 2 hours on phone queueing), I did an ID test that DIDN'T require a passport, because I don't have one, and one of the last questions on the site after 15 minutes of looking things up, and clicking on things and accepting them... I came to a question which was 'please enter your passport number'!! :rant::hihi:

• 1 month later...

Aaaaaaaarrrrrrrggggggg.

You have my sympathy.

Today I logged in to complete my tax return which I like to do before the end of December, But, I was ill all over Christmas and new year. Looking after my Grandson also takes up quite a bit of my time so here I am on a Sunday afternoon with a couple of hours where I am not too tired have re-aquainted myself with the figures and looked at the old printouts to see what I need to put where( hoping they have not changed things since last year) all prepared so I logged in to be greeted with We have added a new layer of security do you want us to send your access code to Mobile Landline App.

First thought was What's an App: answer self, one of those things on my laptop that lets me do things. Going into it further I find it has to be one that generates codes, EH. Another thing to keep track of and not let anyone know so that when I die admin and the internet will be generating stuff forever because nobody knows how the hell to stop it. Mobile, At present either in a Theatre I visited or the back of the friends car I went in. both uncontactable until tomorrow, when I will be once again into the round of childcare duties.

Oh well they say it gets easier. Maybe when I pass on. Lol. :cool:

P.S.

I only came on here for a rant because my friend was not available for a bit of earbending.

I had to register last year in order to obtain a certificate relating to an imported motorcycle.

From the look of things I must have caught the system on a good day.

I registered, filled in the form, received an email a couple of days later requesting further information which I sent that same day and received my certificate a week later.

As my wife's state pension is below her tax allowance she claimed £1000 of her allowance for me.

Did it on line from scratch I got a new tax code within week and a cheque for the year 2015/2016 of £220 within another week.

Will get another £220 rebate for 2016/2017

I only found out about this marriage allowance from a money saving website.

Marriage Allowance - GOV.UK

https://www.gov.uk/marriage-allowance/how-it-works

28 Oct 2016 - Marriage Allowance lets you transfer £1,100 of your Personal Allowance to your husband, wife or civil partner - if they earn more than you.

‎How to apply · ‎Personal Allowance

Edited by davyboy

I have not had trouble for years since I went onto broadband and the HMRC upped its game, they were very helpful last time I had to contact them. But this Extra Layer of security is nonsense. If someone has my or your UTR and Password they can get the Code sent to their choice of phone. So there is no extra security just another set of code to take up our time.

---------- Post added 25-01-2017 at 21:41 ----------

So I got my phone back and had another go this morning. There were more security questions to which I could no give a positive reply. Have you got a current Passport. No. have you got a photo ID Driver licence. No. When did you last get a credit card. I have never had one was not an option.

So I ended up calling the helpline and was advised to click on more than five years ago. which is a lie, (see above) but got me through to the next statement/question. About a loan I took to enable me to do some essential work on the property I get income from.

Now if they already knew about the loan I took out why not ask about loans at the same time or even before the credit card questions or add another option (never had) to the credit card page, instead of giving money the taxpayer and government can ill afford to a private credit rating company, that way no one else has any details of my personal finances.

Oups. Sorry that would be too sensible and avoid one possible security breach opportunity.