Average speed cameras

I've always wondered about these, my daily work commute is down the M1 where all the 50mph average cameras are, every day I will be overtaken by people doing much more than 50.

Me too actually...but I don't know any of those people so have no idea if they get tickets.

I always thought they just took your speed at each one and averaged it, but someone explained it to me the other day. The second (and third and so on) camera 'knows' how long it should have taken to get there from the previous one at say 50mph, if you get there in a shorter time, you must have been speeding.

Whoever told you that is talking rubbish. If I were to do 90MPH in a 50-zone for 1 mile, then got stuck in a bit of traffic for another mile, I'd get away with doing the 90MPH because I would arrive at the second camera late. They are not that stupid.

It's very simple: Your speed is calculated from two cameras (eg: Camera 1 and Camera 2, Camera 2 and Camera 3, Camera 3 and Camera 4, etc, etc).

If I did 55 through Camera 1 and 60 through Camera 2 in a 50MPH zone, the average speed would be 57.5. Then it depends how much leniancy they give you with those particular cameras on that particular road.

I always do 55MPH in the 50MPH roadworks on the M1, and never had a problem.

To answer the OP: It's more about the quantity of cameras than distance. There is surely more than one camera per 10 miles on this road you're talking about. If you were doing 40MPH for ten miles, then 80MPH for ten miles you're going to get a ticket.

If you went through one camera at 40MPH, then the next camera at 80MPH, you're fine. But if you went through two cameras at 80MPH, you're getting a ticket, because your average speed between those two cameras would have been 80MPH in a 60MPH zone. You can't "make up" for going slow earlier.