Toxic weedkillers

In the 20-30 years since your references were published there has been a great deal of change.

More research on impact.

Changes in law

New substances.

New application methods.

Ability to match application levels to need.

Ability to monitor impact.

Ecological modelling.

Risk assessment etc.

More and more we see the economic and "ecological" management of supplying the demand coming into line. Ironically due to large producers reducing costs which would be irrelevant to small producers and large buyers being averse to a "bad image". Small producers and buyers have always posed the greatest risk due to their preparedness to take higher risks for economic gain and their lack of knowledge and ability to minimize use of additives.

The threat of "organic" farming to the environment and to food production is being contained by the level of demand which remains very low and static.

Improving the way that food production impacts the environment cannot be left to:

legislation -as it is too slow and inflexible.

consumers -as they are too easily swayed by "issues".

producers -as they are too interested in short term gains.

science -too slow and in this case too many variables.

So what is left? - brand and image.

All of us should continually challenge the way food and drink is supplied.

It starts at the counter, the shelf, the till, the bar, the table etc.

How many of us ask "Why is my bacon shrinking and what is that white scum coming out of it?

"How...?"

"Where...?"

"What...?"

Annie Bynnol,

I agree with a lot of the point you make. I must update my library.But I still think the research makes the point about the impact of chemicals.

You may find this link useful in respect of the part that can be made by organic farminghttp://www.scientificamerican.com/article/organic-farming-yields-and-feeding-the-world-under-climate-change/.

Graham Harvey in his book, "The Killing of the Countryside" , Vintage Books, ISBN 0 09- 9736 1 6 ". Makes the observation. More than anything else, farming now needs a new ethic, a new culture,or rather, a new "old" culture . It must rediscover systems of rotation and mixed farming ,methods of producing food that no longer rely on chemicals,fertilisers, and pesticides.

"Not a harking back to a dog-and-stick agriculture, but a looking forward to a tractor powered, computer-controlled, twenty-first-century agriculture which recognises the simple scientific facts that biological processes, not industrial processes,are the only ones capable of delivering safe, wholesome food and a safe living countryside "(p183).

I know for certain, that the farmer I know in the Haute-Garonne would strongly disagree with the description (by whoever); that his organic and

permaculture methods pose a threat to the ecology of his chosen area. In my opinion, such techniques play a positive part in protecting the environment -and in the long run ,protecting the consumer.

My apology for the link. I'll try again.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/organic-farming-yields-and-feeding-the-world-under-climate-change/

Edited by petemcewan