Do 'non jobs' exist?

Seriously there are people that are unable to go out for a walk without a council employee organising it for them, round here it would be nice to go out for a walk and not have to wade through broken glass and litter, now cleaning that up would be a worthwhile use of council spending.

Islington Walking Coordinator

Ref: ER/1864/EO

Grade and Salary: SO2/£30,345-£31,935 pro-rata

Hours: 17.5 hours p/week

An opportunity has arisen for an individual to take on the existing successful Health Walks Programme in Islington that has been continuously developing since 2002. The programme currently attracts 300 users per week and supports 25 volunteer walk leaders. The Walking Coordinator will be key in ensuring this scheme continues to thrive by developing new walks, working with partners and supporting and recruiting a team of volunteer walk leaders.

The successful candidate will be expected to have:

• Experience of project management including producing reports, delivering presentations, event planning and monitoring of budgets.

• Experience in outreach work or with community groups and their development in a voluntary or paid capacity

• The ability to work as a team and independently

• Awareness of healthy walking initiatives

• The ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing with a wide variety of people including partners, funders and the local community.

• Experience of working with and recruiting volunteers in an inner city environment

I dont think the example proves what you want it to. The programme is clearly not just showing people where to walk and its clearly more about volunteers trying to offer something to the users of the scheme. Any scheme needs some sort of co-ordination and those volunteers need leadership It is clearly a part time administraive and project management role and its salary is about right for the type of duties required. In fact, despite the role being in central London it really has a low salary.

£270 a week for a part time admin Job in Islington is nothing.

Edited by ECCOnoob

I dont think the example proves what you want it to. The programme is clearly not just showing people where to walk and its clearly more about volunteers trying to offer something to the users of the scheme. Any scheme needs some sort of co-ordination and those volunteers need leadership It is clearly a part time administraive and project management role and its salary is about right for the type of duties required. In fact, despite the role being in central London it really has a low salary.

£270 a week for a part time admin Job in Islington is nothing.

Back to why does anyone need a council scheme to organise a walk, you simply get dressed and walk out of your house and walk, what would be nice is if councils spent money on street cleaning so that when you do go for a walk you aren't wading through litter and glass, or tripping on dodgy pavements.

It's difficult giving examples of non-jobs as I don't believe they exist.

The question was pretty clear.

Would you class major decision makers in the financial sector as occupying non-jobs? They work long hours, take home massive bonuses and are responsible for the current period of recession.

Give me a low paid, non-job (allegedly) employee, either public or private sector, who has little impact on how I live my life any day.

Got any examples?

Something else I disagree with, education should be available to all but it should be a parents responsibility, not the councils to make sure children attend.

It is the responsibility of the parent to make sure their child receives a full time education. If they dont satisfy home schooling that means they have to attend school.

Back to why does anyone need a council scheme to organise a walk, you simply get dressed and walk out of your house and walk, what would be nice is if councils spent money on street cleaning so that when you do go for a walk you aren't wading through litter and glass, or tripping on dodgy pavements.

Are the streets unusually messy round you or something? Serious question.

You spend a lot of time arguing for more resources for cleaning the streets, almost as if there is nothing more important. It's getting weird.

Are the streets unusually messy round you or something? Serious question.

You spend a lot of time arguing for more resources for cleaning the streets, almost as if there is nothing more important. It's getting weird.

The streets are messy everywhere I walk and drive, glass, litter, uneven service, potholes, overhanging branches, long grass and weeds all make the place look unsightly as well as dangerous.

The streets are messy everywhere I walk and drive, glass, litter, uneven service, potholes, overhanging branches, long grass and weeds all make the place look unsightly as well as dangerous.

Shame that the Tories have taken an axe to local authority spending then. Maybe you should stop voting for them.

Shame that the Tories have taken an axe to local authority spending then. Maybe you should stop voting for them.

Sorry to disappoint you but they have been like it for decades, even when we had a Labour government and a labour councils both employing countless people doing non jobs the streets were neglected.

Oh for goodness sake, you know full well that the scheme is not just the council organising at walk. 30 seconds on Google indicates that its a London wide initiative to encourage people to do something active i.e. walking and promote the associated health benefits. The scheme organises various activities and has manages projects, promotional activities, liaising with volunteers and administration to run it.

People who want to quit smoking dont NEED a person to physically remove a cigerette from their mouth but im sure many on here would not begrudge a taxpayer monies funding a stop smoking campaign.

In any event you will be glad to know that after the 2010 election the Council decided to cut the non job. Seems like the Labour run Islington Council are re-instating it despite the face of said cut to public monies. Maybe they consider its less of a non job and more of an essentital service. Perhaps Comrade Corbyn was kneeled on by Unison to create another public sector role.

Edited by ECCOnoob

Oh for goodness sake, you know full well that the scheme is not just the council organising at walk. 30 seconds on Google indicates that its a London wide initiative to encourage people to do something active i.e. walking and promote the associated health benefits. The scheme organises various activities and has manages projects, promotional activities, liaising with volunteers and administration to run it.

People who want to quit smoking dont NEED a person to physically remove a cigerette from their mouth but im sure many on here would not begrudge a taxpayer monies funding a stop smoking campaign.

Back to people are surely capable of walking without the assistance of a walking coordinator, and the money spent employing them would be better spent making sure the places we walk are clean.