Do 'non jobs' exist?

Well I can't speak for all industries but I know for certain thats completely wrong for mine. No private company is going to pay an employee to do nothing.

I've seen it many times and I've been in the workforce for 30+ years now. It's easy to become a tiny cog at a big company and practically disappear. I've known people who did hardly anything, or at least did the absolute minimum to get by.

I've seen it many times and I've been in the workforce for 30+ years now. It's easy to become a tiny cog at a big company and practically disappear. I've known people who did hardly anything, or at least did the absolute minimum to get by.

Last one in, first one out. A tad longer for lunch and the ability to look busy whilst doing nowt. We've all worked with them - and they can be bugger to get rid of.

Last one in, first one out. A tad longer for lunch and the ability to look busy whilst doing nowt. We've all worked with them - and they can be bugger to get rid of.

And there are loads of them in the private sector

Guest sibon
Yeah, I've only ever worked in the private sector.

You should come join us in the public sector. Total doss all the time. All I do is carry a piece of paper around and call meetings.

We always have bourbons at meetings?

Where I work (guess) "corporate responsibilities" and volunteering are some of the things looked at during your PMR (Performance Management Review) which encourages people to volunteer for non-jobs because it means they have less time to do proper work and it looks good.

Change Champion, Quality Champion, Pacesetter Advocate, etc etc.

There was an occasion last year when about £200k worth of of people were putting up graphs and pictures on a wall. But when we kick off about it we are told to stop being negative and embrace pacesetter principles. People usually know how to do a job, just let them get on with doing it instead of employing a cottage industry of micro-managers, advocates, facilitators and people whose only remit in life seems to be creating effing spreadsheets.

You should come join us in the public sector. Total doss all the time. All I do is carry a piece of paper around and call meetings.

We always have bourbons at meetings?

I'm from public sector stock. I applied and shunned me. No 35 hour weeks, 18 months full sick pay, gold plated pensions, 48 weeks holiday for me ;););)

---------- Post added 04-06-2016 at 22:54 ----------

Where I work (guess) "corporate responsibilities" and volunteering are some of the things looked at during your PMR (Performance Management Review) which encourages people to volunteer for non-jobs because it means they have less time to do proper work and it looks good.

Change Champion, Quality Champion, Pacesetter Advocate, etc etc.

There was an occasion last year when about £200k worth of of people were putting up graphs and pictures on a wall. But when we kick off about it we are told to stop being negative and embrace pacesetter principles.

Most small businesses don't see any of that. We're getting fobbed off by your colleagues trying to get a bit of work done while your mowing old peoples lawns.

I'm from public sector stock. I applied and shunned me. No 35 hour weeks, 18 months full sick pay, gold plated pensions, 48 weeks holiday for me ;););)

---------- Post added 04-06-2016 at 22:54 ----------

Most small businesses don't see any of that. We're getting fobbed off by your colleagues trying to get a bit of work done while your mowing old peoples lawns.

If we were mowing old peoples' lawns at least that would be worthwhile....no, whiteboards...they're our nemesis. Every soddin team has to have a whiteboard......then we have to put hazard tape around it because people could bump into it. We don't want it, but every week, and for some poor sods, every day, we have to go and pray at THE WHITEBOARD

If we were mowing old peoples' lawns at least that would be worthwhile....no, whiteboards...they're our nemesis. Every soddin team has to have a whiteboard......then we have to put hazard tape around it because people could bump into it. We don't want it, but every week, and for some poor sods, every day, we have to go and pray at THE WHITEBOARD

EDIT - in AV land, the tape is always white. It acts like a force field, didn't you know?;)

Go to one of the big corporate away days. Take one hotel (4 star naturally) watch them do the conference thing followed by THE most corporate thing - the "breakout rooms" where groups of middle managers try to cling to their job whilst discussing the most tedious of subjects often with white boards and their nemesis, power point (I cleaned up after them). I saw phrases like "blue sky thinking" actually written down - they were being serious when using them, I always thought that sort of thing was a myth. Hand to God, if someone had some explosives they could have reduced a certain energy company's charges by about a third.